[SOLVED] Am I able to plug in a USB-C add-on cable to the mobo?

Appletax

Reaction score
Solution: the connector is USB Type-E. The mobo does not have a port for this newer tech. It can share the front USB 3.2 Gen 1’s USB 3.0 header by splitting it, and then putting an adapter on one of the two headers. Speed would be half the 10 gig potential of the USB-C add-on. Not worth the trouble given that there’s USB-C ports in the rear.

Example of one on a Z790 Asus mobo that goes up to 20 gigs:

USB-C Type-E Mobo Connector.jpg

—-

Client's gaming PC case has a USB-C port spot that is empty. They want the USB-C add-on from Fractal installed. Problem is that I am unfamiliar with the mobo connector on the cable - never seen this connector type before. I have no idea how it could be inserted into the mobo. Both the mobo and the add-on's manuals are of no help. What to do?

Case: Fractal Pop Series XL Air [Model: FD-C-POR1X-06]

Mobo manual: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B550-F_GAMING_WIFI_II/E18592_ROG_STRIX_B550-F_GAMING_WI-FI_II_UM_WEB.pdf?model=ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI II

USB-C 10Gbps Cable – Model D

USB-C Add-On Mobo Connector.png

Looks like a cross between a SATA power cable connector and a DisplayPort connector.

Last edited:
Most newer MB's have that connector near the SATA ports/Main power header - you're going to need an Adapter:

View attachment 16451
Thank you.

So, this thing is called a USB-C Type-E connector?

I would have to also put in a USB 3.2 Gen 1 header splitter to both the Type C and Type A ports in the front would work.

Both of these products appear to only have weird brand names that are likely designed and manufactured in China or India. Not sure if I would trust their products.

The bad part is that the C port would be capped at half of its potential speed.

I have recommended to the client not to proceed with this. There are USB C ports already on the back.

Only makes sense to do this if the mobo had the port on it.

Ya, could also make sense if a case had ports on the front, and you just want them to "work". As far as I can tell it's just a "straight-through" adapter connector, no electronics to go bad.

Back