Any USB port testers available?

sorcerer

Reaction score
In the old days of serial and parallel ports you could buy port testers. Some were through-plugs with rows of LEDs for showing data transfer or the presence of signals, others were loopback plugs to be used in conjunction with testing software.

Do any such devices exist for testing the USB ports and if so, where can you get them in the UK?

I suspect not. It wouldn't really help much if you could.

Serial/parallel ports are dumb, slow devices that are largely controlled by software, so performing a simple electrical test, by pulsing attached LEDs can be useful in determining that the port is, for the most part, working.

From an electrical point of view, USB port data pins pulse far faster than the eye can see and both the initial link negotiation and the flow of data are dealt with by the USB controller hardware.

It'd be simpler and more conclusive to plug in a piece of USB hardware, such as a known-working flash pen drive.

I thought that may be the case. I've got a flexible USB LED light that I can plug in to show that the power side is working but would like something a bit more tangible for the data side. Flash drives seem to be a bit too tempremental in that respect. In my experience they rarely give any 'pre-fail' indication - one minute they work, next time you plug it in they don't, so aren't really much use for testing.

Cheers

True enough; they can be a bit temperamental. They're cheap, small and don't usually require drivers though.

Alternatively, I suppose you could just use a USB keyboard and/or mouse. For portability, there's finger mice/mouses.

Your post got me thinking about this. After Googling and getting a major case of information overload I realize how little I know about USB.

Anyway, here is a cheap in line tester for Volts/Amps, not data:

AboveTEK® USB Power Meter Voltage Tester Current Monitor - USB 2.0 3.0 Volt Amp Reader Multimeter LED Screen-Portable Durable mV mA Measurement - Solar Panel Voltmeter Battery Power Bank Ampmeter Wall Charger Smartphone Tablet Gadget Charging Status

This next link is a hardware/software solution for measuring data throughput and Voltage:

PassMark Software - USB 3.0 Loopback Plugs and USB Test Software

I have a USB cable tester that tests USB 3.0 and/or USB 2.0 cables. It derives power from a USB port and therefore tests the port for power, but not data links. A little over-kill for just checking a USB port.

Back