Becoming an Apple Service Provider

exbabylon

Reaction score
We've been looking into adding this to our retail location, but do not currently have any Apple-certified technicians in house right now. I've looked over the entire application, read all of their information on it, but would like to know if anyone here has gone down this road. If you are an Apple Service Provider do you also fix PC's? How demanding is the paperwork/training? Is the reimbursement worth it?

That being said, perhaps this thread can be a resource to others looking to do the same. I will keep the status of our endevours into this documented here.

We've been looking into adding this to our retail location, but do not currently have any Apple-certified technicians in house right now. I've looked over the entire application, read all of their information on it, but would like to know if anyone here has gone down this road. If you are an Apple Service Provider do you also fix PC's? How demanding is the paperwork/training? Is the reimbursement worth it?

We've been authorized for over 20 years so I can't be much help in regards to how the process works nowadays with Apple corporate stores opening all over the place. We do on-site work for Apple also which their corporate stores don't do. Business is usually busy enough to where there is enough Apple only work to where I only look at PCs as favors for business clients or personal contacts. As far as getting ACMT certified, anyone who can get and obsorb the study material can pass the certs with no actual experience.

Last edited:
This is something I've been considering of late also, few other certs coming up before it though.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

That being said, perhaps this thread can be a resource to others looking to do the same. I will keep the status of our endevours into this documented here.

I think this is a great idea and would actually like to see how you do with this. I've read in the recent past where places have been trying for years and meet the requirements, and then some. Yet Apple still never gives them Service Provider status. Don't let it discourage you, and this is only what I've run across just casually browsing the web. But seeing as you are dealing with Apple (probably the most secretive corporation in the world), it may be better to move this to the Technicians eyes only section.

AMT:

If you are apple certified, do you have to actively promote apple products? Are there any rules for how you run your business? I would like to become apple certified but not if means I have to change the way I do things.

AMT:

If you are apple certified, do you have to actively promote apple products? Are there any rules for how you run your business? I would like to become apple certified but not if means I have to change the way I do things.

We promote Apple products because we specialize in and sell Apple products. If we promote other brands we would be promoting customers somewhere else. The only non-Apple things we sell are accessories and parts. We only have to deal with Apple doing warranty work for them whether on-site or in-house. Otherwise we run things how we see fit. Although the Apple Store is our competition and is only about 1/2 mile away, they send us tons of business for things they are prohibited from doing due to Apple corporate policies (like installing non Apple parts).

We promote Apple products because we specialize in and sell Apple products. If we promote other brands we would be promoting customers somewhere else. The only non-Apple things we sell are accessories and parts. We only have to deal with Apple doing warranty work for them whether on-site or in-house. Otherwise we run things how we see fit. Although the Apple Store is our competition and is only about 1/2 mile away, they send us tons of business for things they are prohibited from doing due to Apple corporate policies (like installing non Apple parts).
That's good to know. I basically want to be certified so I know more, but also because being Apple certified holds a lot more weight than Microsoft certified IMO (by this I mean that customers will actually care).

This might be what you're looking for:

http://www.apple.com/support/programs/aasp/

Introduction

The Apple Service Provider program is designed for companies interested in offering service to Apple customers, whether they are consumers, businesses, educational institutions or government organizations. Authorized Apple Resellers and businesses that specialize in service, but do not resell Apple finished goods products, are both able to apply for Apple Service Provider authorization.

Universities and colleges may apply for Service Provider authorization to deliver repair services to their students. Educational institutions who wish only to repair their own equipment should apply to the Self-Servicing Program. All repairs covered under warranty must be performed by Apple-certified technicians.

There are two main types of Service Provider:

Authorized Service Providers, companies which are authorized to provide repair services to all Apple customers.

Limited Service Providers, companies and organizations which operate under limited service agreements which allow service for specific customers or specific Apple products as defined in the Limited Service Provider agreement.

Who can apply for Service Provider status?

Resellers, service companies and educational institutions in countries where Apple has a direct service presence may apply for Apple Service Provider authorization. Individuals or sole traders may not apply.
What are the benefits of Service Provider status?

Apple seeks to ensure that all Service Providers are able to deliver exceptional customer service to the highest standards in the industry. Apple Authorized Service Provider status gives your customers confidence and enhances your reputation.

* Reimbursement for labour, parts and (where applicable) travel for repairs covered by Apple Limited Warranty or extended service agreement
* Only Authorized Service Providers are able to obtain parts directly from Apple in order to complete repairs
* Participation in the Service Excellence performance-based bonus compensation program (where applicable)
* Access to comprehensive product, repair, service, take-apart, troubleshooting, and upgrade information, plus on-the-spot technical support available for certified technicians
* Inclusion in Apple’s resource locator system, which enables customers to find their nearest Service Provider via the Apple website (excludes Limited Service Providers)
* For more detailed information on the benefits of becoming a Service Provider, please contact your regional AppleCare team.

What are the requirements for Service Provider status?

Business requirements
Organizations applying for Service Provider status are required to have been in operation for a reasonable period, with audited financial records available for review by Apple. A credit line is required and must be agreed with the Apple Finance team in the appropriate region. The organization should actively promote the Apple brand as part of their business along with AppleCare service and support products.

Applicants who do not meet these requirements may still apply if there are special circumstances, as each application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Premises
The organization must maintain a commercial walk-in service location with dedicated service personnel in an easily accessible location. The premises must include a clean and presentable reception area for customers who require a walk-in service, and a secure workshop area for repairs, storage of parts and incoming units for repair. A residential address is not acceptable as a Service Location unless agreed by specific arrangement.

Technician Certification
Service Providers are required to use Apple Certified Macintosh Technicians when conducting diagnostics, Covered Repairs, modifications, alterations and upgrades on Apple products. For every thirty Apple repairs conducted each week, a service provider should employ at least one Certified Technician.

Becoming certified to repair Apple Macintosh systems requires passing both a software exam and hardware exam at an authorized Prometric Testing Center. Certifications are renewed on an annual basis via recertification examinations.

The Apple Training website provides detailed information about Apple Certifications, preparatory courses, exam registration, and exam fees.

Mac OS and Apple hardware self-paced training for recertification is provided online without additional charge via our service provider portal, Global Service Exchange.

Operational requirements
Service Providers are required to meet Apple’s standards at all times with regard to service levels, certification of technicians and availability of service to customers. Apple typically audits and reviews Service Providers to ensure these high standards are consistently met.

For more detailed information on the requirements for Service Provider status please take a look at the Requirements document, available for download.

Last edited:
Here's a link on Apple Certification:

http://training.apple.com/certification/acmt

Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT) Certification

Apple Certified Macintosh Technician Certification
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT) certification verifies the ability to perform basic troubleshooting and repair of both desktop and portable Macintosh systems, such as iMac and MacBook Pro. ACMT certification exams emphasize identifying and resolving common Mac OS X problems, and using Apple Service and Support products and practices to effectively repair Apple hardware.

Who Should Seek ACMT Certification?

ACMT certification is intended for technicians employed by an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Self Servicing Account (SSA), or for persons motivated to demonstrate their knowledge of technician-level service and support skills. For persons not employed by an AASP or SSA, attaining ACMT certification verifies skills and knowledge that may be sought by a prospective employer, such as an Apple Reseller or a self-servicing entity like a school system.

Please note that ACMT certification by itself does not authorize a technician to perform repairs on Apple products. Information on becoming authorized for servicing Apple products can be found at: apple.com/support/programs/

How Long Is ACMT Certification Valid?

ACMT certification is valid for one year from the date of certification. Apple requires technicians employed by AASPs or SSAs to re-certify annually in order to repair in-warranty desktop products. Persons not employed by an AASP or SSA are not required to re-certify, however, Apple recommends that people stay current with their certifications by taking the annual re-certification exams.

Required Exams and Preparation

Required Exams

Candidates getting ACMT certified for the first time are required to pass these exams:

1. Apple Macintosh Service Exam (9L0-008) — $150USD Tests practical knowledge of effectively and safely troubleshooting and repairing Apple Macintosh systems, including displays.
2. Mac OS X v10.6 Troubleshooting Exam (9L0-062) — $150USD Tests practical knowledge of Mac OS X emphasizing troubleshooting of Mac OS X version 10.6, and applies knowledge of Mac OS X 10.6 toward identifying common Mac OS X issues.

Recommended Preparation

Customers who purchase AppleCare Technician Training are provided one full year of online access to the same self-paced training curriculum that Apple provides for its Apple authorized service providers. This easy-to-use, self-paced program includes training materials, diagnostic tools, and extensive information from Apple's own technical library.

Leader-led two-day and five-day courses are also available. Contact an Apple Authorized Training Center for training classes, dates and locations (locator map available here). Mac aficionados, service technicians, and help desk personnel at schools and businesses or others needing in-depth understanding of how Apple systems operate can attend these sessions, which combine lectures, demonstrations, and hands-on lab exercises.

Technicians employed by AASPs and SSPs access the self-paced training materials on Apple's Global Service Exchange. GSX is available to technicians employed by AASPs and SSPs only.

More information on becoming an Apple Service Provider:

https://channelprograms-a3t.apple.com/webGMACC/gotowelcome.do?method=gotoWelcome&affliationType=AASP&region=USA&langCode=EN

Welcome

Welcome to the Apple Authorized Service Provider application process. Apple will use the criteria that follows to determine whether an applicant qualifies for authorization as an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP). Providing this information will allow Apple to give maximum consideration to your request. Please note that Apple will only accept online applications.

Applying to become an Apple Authorized Service Provider is a two-step process.

1. Applicants must first complete and submit this online application.

2. If Apple approves your application, an Authorized Representative of the entity requesting Apple Authorized Service Provider status must follow the URL link in the application approval email and acknowledge acceptance of the Apple Authorized Service Provider Agreement.

Application Requirements

The Authorized Representative submitting an application as an Apple Authorized Service Provider must be able to affirm, have, or provide that the applicant:

* Is free of any legal judgements or liens
* Has general liability insurance of at least $1 million
* Has been in business for at least two (2) years
* Business is registered in United States
* Has the authority to contractually bind applicant to an Apple Authorized Service Provider Agreement
* Provide proof of tax-exempt status
* Submit an Apple Credit Application
* Provide up to three (3) client, industry, or vendor references

I have looked down this road for the shop i am working at now. There is only 1 authorized APPLE repair/service center within 100 miles, if you expand it out to around 300 you will get 2-3. I know there is BIG business to be made here.

OUR shops problem is getting a tech to pass the examines and stay with us. There is the owner, myself and another tech. The other tech and myself may both be gone by this time next year (i am working on a masters degree and will have to start my internship and the other is relocating for college i believe as well.) Leaving just the owner who is already busy right now and doesn't have the time to do it right now.

I would say for anyone looking at it, decide what the market is like in your area and how many repair shops are located around you and go from there.

Apple being Apple though may purposely limit how many AUTHORIZED service, or even LIMITED, centers they will put in a geographical area to ensure good business for the ones already there.

OUR shops problem is getting a tech to pass the examines and stay with us. There is the owner, myself and another tech. The other tech and myself may both be gone by this time next year (i am working on a masters degree and will have to start my internship and the other is relocating for college i believe as well.) Leaving just the owner who is already busy right now and doesn't have the time to do it right now.

Technically you could have just the owner be the "certified tech" while others actually do the repairs under the certified tech's "supervision". I did repairs for a couple years before I finally got certified, but we already had 2 certified techs so it wasn't a big rush, and I dragged my feet quite a bit without there being any pressure on me to do it. When I did go take the exams, it was a joke having already more than 2 years experience under my belt. But you have to have at least one certified tech and if the certification lapses, Apple will yank your access to GSX until the tech recertifies. Just like the form says Apple wants 1 tech per 30 repairs a week. I don't know if they actually compare the amount of repairs you do per week against how many certified techs you have on staff. I'd have to say I doubt thats the case, but with Apple it wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:
Back