Can an SSD "miss some data"

Thedog

Reaction score
A client said his computer wont start and it seems to be broken. I try to recover data by plugging the harddrive into an USB-cabinet, the drive is an M2 SSD and I put it in an S-ATA adapter. I plugged it into a Mac and this is how the partition looks:

Skärmavbild 2020-12-10 kl. 20.47.14.png

As you can see there is no Users folder, documents and settings or anything. Not even a Windows folder and this is the partition called OS. Usually you can't read drives at all but this is strange, everything I can see on the drives reads perfectly but there seems that a lot of data is missing. Is this some kind of SSD thing?

Not an SSD thing so much as a Trojan thing. Google "RannohDecryptor". The customer got hit big time. Looks like all is lost. N&P, a decent anti-malware and a little customer education I would think.
Those are old files and it doesn't make sense. Sure if he got encrypted I would see encrypted files.... Never seen an trojan delete a Windows folder...

First-off.. try on another Windows PC.. Second, yes, "Viruses" have and will delete Windows folders and other goodies... part of their M.O., really.

If the RannohDecryptor is "old", when was it removed? If removed, how do you know it isn't still there? And no, you will not necessarily see the encrypted files.. some of these things do some tricky hard drive tricks like encrypt the files and delete - to be restored from "free space" upon payment.

First-off.. try on another Windows PC.. Second, yes, "Viruses" have and will delete Windows folders and other goodies... part of their M.O., really.

If the RannohDecryptor is "old", when was it removed? If removed, how do you know it isn't still there? And no, you will not necessarily see the encrypted files.. some of these things do some tricky hard drive tricks like encrypt the files and delete - to be restored from "free space" upon payment.
PC Won't even read it, It shows 2 partitions but not how much space etc and when you try to look at properties etc it just times out. The computer doesn't power on at all so I don't suspect a virus rather some hardware failure but I am curious on if for example a power surge could render some data away on an SSD while keeping other. Files in for example Program (x86) folder reads perfectly on Mac so it's very odd.

I haven't ran into any encryption viruses for a few years but last I remember it always just encrypted files, you could still boot Windows etc

If write-cache is enabled on the SSD then data loss/corruption is much more likely in the event of a sudden power-off. If, not, SSD's are certainly not infallible. What's the brand of the SSD? There have been SSD's with controller firmware issues, that's for sure. I guess you could be looking at a mem chip failure, too... but usually the controller would freak out and not mount.

If write-cache is enabled on the SSD then data loss/corruption is much more likely in the event of a sudden power-off. If, not, SSD's are certainly not infallible. What's the brand of the SSD? There have been SSD's with controller firmware issues, that's for sure. I guess you could be looking at a mem chip failure, too... but usually the controller would freak out and not mount.
Sandisk:

I mean, it could be that drive for sure... 1Q 2014 - and it's one of those 'half-sized' ones... usually only OEM's that go for that. 2014 was still pretty early in the SSD game. Wouldn't surprise me to see it failed if that's what it is.

I've seen SSDs corrupt individual files, but never had them lose an entire folder. I suppose it is possible, after all technically the folder entry is just another file. It's just not nearly as commonly written to.

Also, every crypto I've gotten has destroyed Windows.

I've seen SSDs corrupt individual files, but never had them lose an entire folder. I suppose it is possible, after all technically the folder entry is just another file. It's just not nearly as commonly written to.

Also, every crypto I've gotten has destroyed Windows.

Do you know the logic as to why Mac can read the harddrive 1 second after plugging it in while PC can't read it at at all, times out etc. NTFS of course

Probably a corrupted partition lead, Windows is trying to get the SIDs and GUIDS out of the volume to enforce permissions, *nix platforms like a Mac won't care about that stuff.

As the very first thing to do in a data loss situation is to clone the patient drive, how did that process go? Any read errors or areas of slow down?

1. If the drive is starting to fail, it will likely get worse
2. If files were deleted, TRIM is likely erasing the sectors

As the very first thing to do in a data loss situation is to clone the patient drive, how did that process go? Any read errors or areas of slow down?

1. If the drive is starting to fail, it will likely get worse
2. If files were deleted, TRIM is likely erasing the sectors
Exactly, while the rest was conducting a wild goose chase.

Back