Clarification for frontier email accounts and outlook after Sep 16th

lan101

Reaction score
So last week for a client that uses EM Client I was able to just delete and re add the account back to em client. A window popped up to allow access through yahoo etc. and all was good.

This week a client that has outlook 2021 and an ancient outlook 2013 on a different pc...when I did the same nothing ever came up for it. Do they need the latest outlook for this to work? Yahoo/frontier has the 3rd party password generator as well but I don't see how that works to be honest lol. There used to be a page within yahoo security that you could allow 3rd party access and now I'm not finding that. Ultimately I could probably talk them into switching to EM Client but I'm sure they'd rather keep outlook if possible. So both outlook 2021 and 2013 present the same issue. Both still work fine for now using imap config.

So is the newest outlook a must here in this case? Or does anyone have instructions for 3rd party password generator on how it works for yahoo/frontier accounts.

Thank you.

Outlook 2021 is, for all practical intents and purposes, the same as Outlook 365 classic in terms of supporting modern authentication. It is possible (or was) to add modern authentication capability to Outlook 2013, and this is the REG file I have stashed away that would do this: Outlook2013ModernAuth.REG. Whether it still works I cannot say.

As far as I know, AOL, Yahoo, Verizon, every account in that family need an app password. You can get it by going to the account online and find the settings, the "app password" should be there. If it's an ATT account (some are from the old days) then it's called a Key I think, it's the same thing. Use this app password for setup. I know it's for Outlook, eMClient will require it most likely. Maybe not New Outlook as it might connect online. Outlook 2013 will probably never work for any of these accounts. Try the New Outlook instead.

As far as I know, AOL, Yahoo, Verizon, every account in that family need an app password. You can get it by going to the account online and find the settings, the "app password" should be there. If it's an ATT account (some are from the old days) then it's called a Key I think, it's the same thing. Use this app password for setup. I know it's for Outlook, eMClient will require it most likely. Maybe not New Outlook as it might connect online. Outlook 2013 will probably never work for any of these accounts. Try the New Outlook instead.

I figured out how to get the app password but don't know what to do with it from there lol. I've done these a handful of times in the past with no issue so maybe it's just me having an off day with it possibly lol.

So if I add the account back into outlook nothing comes up about 3rd party access...so I guess that's where I'm lost at on this 1 for now.

EM Client last week when I re-added the accounts in it popped up a secure yahoo login page for it to sign in and accept the 3rd party access for EM client...outlook nothing happens at all.

Outlook 2021 is, for all practical intents and purposes, the same as Outlook 365 classic in terms of supporting modern authentication. It is possible (or was) to add modern authentication capability to Outlook 2013, and this is the REG file I have stashed away that would do this: Outlook2013ModernAuth.REG. Whether it still works I cannot say.

Might give that a try and see what happens with that one too.

As an aside, because it cannot only be Comcast that is engaging in this idiocy, make sure that there is not some server side setting, usually administered either via webmail or the client's account page, that allows/disallows access by 3rd party email client programs.

I know I posted a dedicated topic about this development with Comcast quite recently here. But unless you throw that toggle to allow now, no email client can successfully connect to a comcast.net email account. The worst part is you get zero indication on the email client side about what has occurred. The entire account configuration process goes perfectly until you supply the password (and the correct one) and then, BOOM, everything just stops dead and connection is not allowed.

I figured out how to get the app password but don't know what to do with it from there lol. I've done these a handful of times in the past with no issue so maybe it's just me having an off day with it possibly lol.

I would just put it where the password is

Back