Classic Shell => Open Shell, anyone?

Diggs

Reaction score
Classic Shell has been maintained as Open Shell. I have a "challenged" user struggling with Win10. Anyone using Open Shell on the latest build of Win10? Problems? Issues? I'm very hesitant to recommend it to any user. Just something else to break on a future version upgrade of Win10......

Once you remove the live tiles and shrink the start menu back to the normal size, it works very similar to the old days. At least close enough that our clients haven't wanted a replacement.

What exactly are they struggling with

I'm not exactly sure but one of the things his wife stated was that he couldn't email from YouTube. He undoubtedly has no default email program set up and uses Chrome for email with his ISP (Frontier). Setting up "Handlers" in Chrome is not the most intuitive kind of thing either. (He has a brain tumor.)

Once you remove the live tiles and shrink the start menu back to the normal size, it works very similar to the old days.

I agree and always reduce the live tiles to one set on all the machines I set up. I'm at a loss until we can discuss.

She thought Windows 8 might be better :eek: to try as it's between 7 and 10 but I explained otherwise.

Install a mail client and setup their webmail on that? Then this would launch automatically any time they wanted to send an email.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

So you are trying to solve her problems with chrome by changing the start menu???

I don't even know the issues yet. My sit down discovery and talk was cancelled as they had to go to the hospital.

Install a mail client and setup their webmail on that? Then this would launch automatically any time they wanted to send an email.

Please - I know how to install default mail apps and handlers through Chrome and Firefox. The question is anyone using Open Shell with 1809/1903?

I don't even know the issues yet. My sit down discovery and talk was cancelled as they had to go to the hospital.

Please - I know how to install default mail apps and handlers through Chrome and Firefox. The question is anyone using Open Shell with 1809/1903?
Hi Diggs - yes - we use Open Shell via Ninite with 1809/1903 daily and no problems thus far. Most customers love us for it.

Does OpenShell get removed with every Win10 feature update?
I haven't tried OpenShell but, if it works like Classic Shell did, no it doesn't get removed.

When logging in for the first time after a feature update, ClassicShell gives the following prompt (which requires admin privileges in order to proceed):

0NUCmGy.png

I've seen Classic Shell randomly crash on some of the older versions of Windows 10, suspect there's a compatibility issue somewhere with these versions.

No problems encountered with OpenShell here.
Same here. I've gone back to using in favour of StartIsBack. If anything, it's better and more stable than it was (as ClassicShell). It's great for domain environments too. Deploying it is simple and it's easy to create policies for customisations, pinned shortcuts, etc. It's certainly much easier than customising the Microsoft/Fisher-Price Start Menu and it looks far more professional too.

Back