Data drive

BO Terry

Reaction score
*Resolved* I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 I'm setting up for a client. It has a SSD drive for the OS etc and they requested my adding a second drive for data. I purchased a 1TB Western Digital (WD Blue) drive for this part. I've done this before and it works great.

The problem I'm having is that the computer is not recognizing the second drive. It's been a while since I set up my last one so guessing I'm just missing a step somewhere. I've tried two different SATA cables and used the two different power connections (options off of the power supply). I even tried a known good drive I had on hand and had the same results.

The only drives showing up on This PC are the SSD (C) and the DVD player (D).

I looked under device manager and only one is there.

I looked under Disk management and shows Disk 0 (SSD) and CD-ROM 0 (DVD).

I tried ports SATA2 and SATA3 on the MoBo.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Last edited:
I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 I'm setting up for a client. It has a SSD drive for the OS etc and they requested my adding a second drive for data. I purchased a 1TB Western Digital (WD Blue) drive for this part. I've done this before and it works great.

The problem I'm having is that the computer is not recognizing the second drive. It's been a while since I set up my last one so guessing I'm just missing a step somewhere. I've tried two different SATA cables and used the two different power connections (options off of the power supply). I even tried a known good drive I had on hand and had the same results.

The only drives showing up on This PC are the SSD (C) and the DVD player (D).

I looked under device manager and only one is there.

I looked under Disk management and shows Disk 0 (SSD) and CD-ROM 0 (DVD).

I tried ports SATA2 and SATA3 on the MoBo.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

I would be looking in the bios for the possibility that your sata controller(s) are not setup correctly. Something in the effect of the extra sata ports are turned off.

I would be looking in the bios for the possibility that your sata controller(s) are not setup correctly. Something in the effect of the extra sata ports are turned off.

THIS. For some reason, Dell found it necessary to be able to enable/disable individual SATA ports on the motherboard in the BIOS. It's so annoying.

Yup first thing to check is if the port is enabled in the BIOS. Dell loves having all the ports disabled except for the ones in use from the factory.

Thank you! I went into BIOS > Sys config > Drives. There were 4 check boxes for SATA0, SATA1, SATA2 and SATA3. Only 1 and 2 were enabled. I enabled 3 and 4 and I'm up and running!

Back