Does a laptop's LED LCD has an inverter

greenfx

Reaction score
There is a HP laptop which I have been trying to fix. The laptop has been dropped and has a fuzzy display. The display is perfect on an external monitor. So, I got a new LCD but the result is the same. Again, got a lcd cable but in vain :(
What could be bad on this laptop ? Some video controller on the mainboard ?

My final question - does LED LCD has an inverter ?

There is a HP laptop which I have been trying to fix. The laptop has been dropped and has a fuzzy display. The display is perfect on an external monitor. So, I got a new LCD but the result is the same. Again, got a lcd cable but in vain :(
What could be bad on this laptop ? Some video controller on the mainboard ?

My final question - does LED LCD has an inverter ?

Before you go any further, test the hard drive if the laptop has been dropped. I made a mistake 2 years ago and replaced the cracked screen only to find the laptop hard drive was damaged when it was dropped. Fortunately the client went with the full repair otherwise I could have ended up out of pocket.

As regards the problem, if you replaced the screen and cable I would have thought you had it covered. Post a picture up if you can.

I will post the pic later. The model is HP Pavilion dv7-6c95dx.
Other than the fuzzy display, everything is perfect on this laptop - even the display on the external monitor.

Had a similar issue in the other week, after trying two different screens, I decided that at this point it was a mother board issue because there really was not anything else it could have been, external was fine hard drive was fine.

When a laptop is dropped, sometimes all the damaged is not visually seen.

Last edited:
Sorry to be pedantic but there's some terminology confusion going on here....

There are two common types of Liquid Crystal Displays (LCDs). They are usually referred to by how they are backlit either by Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp (CCFL) or by Light Emitting Diode (LED). The CCFL type is older and requires an inverter to supply alternating current (AC) from a direct current (DC) source at high enough voltage, the LED type is newer and does not require an inverter to operate since it utilises DC.

Had a similar issue in the other week, after trying two different screens, I decided that at this point it was a mother board issue because there really was not anything else it could have been, external was fine hard drive was fine.

When a laptop is dropped, sometimes all the damaged is not visually seen.

There could be damage to the connector on the main board, where the LCD cable plugs in. If the display it's good on external, seems like the video controller is ok. If you tried a new cable and screen, that is all that's left.

Not exactly the same, but I had one where the main board connector plug got tweaked, the cable wasn't connected, but appeared to be.

Maybe, the confusion arose because I put two questions.

I assumed that LED displays don't have an inverter. I wanted to confirm that from you folks.

Secondly, I wanted your advice as to what could be the reason for this fuzzy display.

Hope this makes it clear now.
Sorry to be pedantic but there's some terminology confusion going on here....

There are two common types of Liquid Crystal Displays (LCDs). They are usually referred to by how they are backlit either by Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp (CCFL) or by Light Emitting Diode (LED). The CCFL type is older and requires an inverter to supply alternating current (AC) from a direct current (DC) source at high enough voltage, the LED type is newer and does not require an inverter to operate since it utilises DC.

okay, here's the display ... fuzzy display !

Attachments

• IMG-20121114-00046.jpg
    IMG-20121114-00046.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 241
you are correct. I cannot change the resolution or anything.
BUT, when I connect to an external display, I can do that.

I made a mistake 2 years ago and replaced the cracked screen only to find the laptop hard drive was damaged when it was dropped.

Having similar dilemma right now. After replacing the screen, the system is failing after 10 - 15 minutes due to GPU overheating. (This is after I reflow)
I decided not to charge the client, take the lost on the screen and recommend just to buy another computer. I don't sell system so they wouldn't think I'm trying to scam them. I might still get their business to do data transfer and setup.

To answer the OP's question LCD use inverter. LED don't
There are so many screen models. Some are interchangeble and some are not
If your using a different replacement part number, contact screencounty.com and ask if it's compatible.
They have a support site which is free. Give them both screen part number

Good Luck

Last edited:
Back