eM Client

coffee

Reaction score
Hello.

About a year or so ago I took one of my clients and replaced their MS Exchange server with another running Icewarp instead of Exchange. This made things on the server side extremely easy. Icewarp does a fantastic job of handling email, Calendar and the other roles of Exchange. However, One problem has always been a pain is the lost appointments or cross posting to other Users calendar. I spent a lot of time tracking this down and finally got it tracked to Outlook. So, I worked pretty hard to clear up the issues. Unfortunately the only real cure I found was to blow away the Users profile and re create it. In time the issues would just come back. In fact, It didnt take that long.

So, Today I moved forward with a test run of the software "eM client". This is suppose to be a direct replacement of Outlook and works with Exchange or Icewarp servers among others. I set it up to trial it for about 2 weeks to a month on one User's workstation.

The install went very well. eM client found the Icewarp server and started importing calendar events and shared folders. Now, At this point I figured I could leave for at least 3 hours or more for the import of all these shared calendars. There is a lot of calendar data and has at times made Outlook just choke. I was supprised that the import of data took really about 5 minutes! What?? Ok, Lets really see what it did. So, I clicked on one of the User's shared calendars that I knew had about 19000 calendar entries. Well, In less than 2 minutes they all loaded. I have to say, I was very stunned. I continued thru the other shared calendars and the same thing - record loading time - 2 minutes or less.

To give some relevance on this, Outlook would normally take hours to get thru all the shared calendars. I could start the sync of calendar data and walk away for a few hours at least and then come back and hopefully it didnt crash.

I did notice that loading multiple calendars in separate tabs or windows is not available. So, I fired off an email to ask about it. I had an answer in about an hour.

Thank you for your email and your interest in eM Client.

Unfortunately, so far we don't have this feature in eM Client BUT it is planned for the next version of eM Client that is planned to be released during the next year.

I have to say that so far I am very impressed at the ease of installation and how fast it really works. The combination of Icewarp and eMClient might be a real winner. However, I have to be careful about getting to excited too early in testing. However, At this point it really does blow Outlook out of the water.

eMClient is available for M$ / APPLE / Linux

https://www.emclient.com/

coffee

It's also free for personal use (up to 2 email accounts) and supports IMAP, POP3, outlook.com and I believe gmail accounts for contacts/calendar sync.

It's good to hear that it stands up in a heavy-use exchange enviroment, better than Outlook!

Just an update:

I finished the migration from Outlook to eMClient last night. Things really went well and it does a great job.

I find it about 10x faster than Outlook. It has a clean, Easy to understand GUI, The Clients (10 of which) love it even though its only been a few days now.

So, Now when I look at a small business server for this type of setup I line up Icewarp for the server on centos linux. Then eMClient as the replacement for Outlook. Everything just works. I cannot believe it.

I had a client recently whose email failed out of the blue on Thunderbird. I struggled and couldn't get it back on line and thought it may be an account issue at Charter during in my short visit. Before I got back to him his son installed emclient and it took right off with no issues. Client is more than happy with it.

I have to say that it feels great relegating Outlook to the trash heap. Im beginning to think that there is no need for M$-OFFICE of any kind anymore. With LibreOffice, eMClient, Icewarp on the server things are economical and it runs rather well with very little intervention. Of course, I know some macro stuff in Documents might not pass the test with libreoffice but - hey - close enough.

I long for the day that I take M$ off the workstations totally.

I had a client recently whose email failed out of the blue on Thunderbird. I struggled and couldn't get it back on line and thought it may be an account issue at Charter during in my short visit. Before I got back to him his son installed emclient and it took right off with no issues. Client is more than happy with it.

I do use Thunderbird and so do a lot of clients that do not use calendar stuff. I havent really had an issue with it actually. The only things I ever see pop up are the certs errors. I kinda figured that perhaps they are making some changes to their email server and the names no longer matched or something like that.

Thunderbird, IMHO is cool. However, Its not glamorous :)

Thunderbird, IMHO is cool. However, Its not glamorous :)

Thunderbird is my daily email client that I use (even though I have an O365 subscription). It's loaded up with 7 different email accounts. Sure is allot quicker than Outlook.

Just switched someone over from outlook express to em client. They made the jump from XP to 10. They really seemed to like it. The one thing i don't like is you need a license even for the free one.

Just switched someone over from outlook express to em client. They made the jump from XP to 10. They really seemed to like it. The one thing i don't like is you need a license even for the free one.

The free download to my understanding gives you a 30 day license. Then you can get a free (as in beer) license for personal use. I suppose that helps them track usage or whatever? I dont know. But..... big thing is ----> If your thinking of licensing like 10 workstations then you get a discount. So, You buy the license and make sure you get the upgrades for life. I saved about 50 % on the cost of 10 licenses. So, Its well worth it. :)

The free download to my understanding gives you a 30 day license. Then you can get a free (as in beer) license for personal use. I suppose that helps them track usage or whatever? I dont know. But..... big thing is ----> If your thinking of licensing like 10 workstations then you get a discount. So, You buy the license and make sure you get the upgrades for life. I saved about 50 % on the cost of 10 licenses. So, Its well worth it. :)

For the non techs the licensing thing for the free piece of software can be confusing. Nice piece of software though

Thanks for the tip. Will check this out as a potential client to recommend to residential users instead of Thunderbird. I can't tell you how many calls we've had trying (unsuccessfully) to explain the tabbed interface or other Thunderbird 'quirks'.

Sounds like it may be great for people who want to use gsuites but want an outlook alternative to manage their emails because they don't like the web interface

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

You buy the license and make sure you get the upgrades for life
So, buy eM Client for $49/per user and then an additional $50/per for a $99/per user cost. Where is the value in that? With a plethora of email clients out there, I cannot justify a $100 price tag for a single user (yes, we know discounts exist) and on top of that the per user cost of say Ice Warp at $3.50/per month.

Edit: I have a client I am looking at getting email service for. But I am looking at just building an email server for them. I've got a few R210's not in use so one of those would make a great email server. And the cost would be minimal. They have 3 static IP's with only one being in use so its a matter of just doing the MX records.

So, buy eM Client for $49/per user and then an additional $50/per for a $99/per user cost. Where is the value in that? With a plethora of email clients out there, I cannot justify a $100 price tag for a single user (yes, we know discounts exist) and on top of that the per user cost of say Ice Warp at $3.50/per month.

Edit: I have a client I am looking at getting email service for. But I am looking at just building an email server for them. I've got a few R210's not in use so one of those would make a great email server. And the cost would be minimal. They have 3 static IP's with only one being in use so its a matter of just doing the MX records.

Well, Compare it to MS-Office. You pay (?) 300.00 and no upgrades.
You can always buy just the current version of eMClient @ 49 and leave it at that.

As for Icewarp, You have to consider running something like Ubuntu server or Centos on it. That saves you quite a bit of money compared to something like M$ server software. You do not need to continue buying the upgrades either. If it works then it just works and the upgrades really are not that necessary unless you are looking for some new feature.

IceWarp Desktop Client look familiar?

snrk

It's not entirely clear to me whether the IceWarp Desktop Client (eMClient) is included at their $3.50/month/user price or if it's only with the Desktop Suite at $7/user/month.

Attachments

• 2018-10-12 13_29_20-Window.png
    2018-10-12 13_29_20-Window.png
    183.8 KB · Views: 8
I never got the Desktop Suit to install when I was doing the migration from their old server to new. Kept erroring out on install.

So, I just went with the plugin for outlook.

Add me to the eM Client fan club. Installed it for several clients over the past 12-18 months and receive good feedback. Never used it for business clients though. Prefer sticking to industry standards there.

Just noticed they also have a re-seller program. Could be beneficial if you are considering this setup for several clients.

Back