Excel CSV not seeing mapped drives

autumn

Reaction score
Ok so this is weird.

The customer has M365, currently a third party software makes a CSV file and saves it to the desktop and opens the file. When it opens the file the customer edits the file and then tries to save it in a mapped drive However, Excel doesn't see the mapped network drives.

If you close the file (straight from creation or editing) and reopen it from the desktop, it will see the mapped drives.

I feel like its something that would happen 10 or so years ago where you had to run as administrator to see the mapped drives, lol.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

I have seen the problem of other softwares open/save dialogs not seeing mapped drives - I had it happen last week with Powershell ISE on my Win11 box. When it happens, I'm usually able to just click on the network icon and put in the network location manually. I have no idea what causes it, but I'll bet it's a Windows thing, not an Excel thing.

A CSV file is actually a comma separated value text file that has file extension changed from txt to csv.

Last edited:
The app is not running in the same user context. An old-fashioned remedy was to map the network drive in a login script so that the System had access to the network drive before the Application runs.
This is the way.

Mapped drives are user context specific, elevated applications are not operating as the user, and therefore do not have user specific resources. Mapped drives being one of them. @autumn The solution is to upgrade the process, mapped drives are deprecated use of them isn't recommended for this and many other reasons.

Back