[SOLVED] How can I remove this extremely stuck USB device?

Appletax

Reaction score
Solution: used brute force to rip it out. Next time, I will first use an iFixit metal spudger tool to pry it out.

---

I've never ran into a USB device this badly stuck in a port before. I used pliers alone and also put a paperclip between the two top holes and pulled on them with pliers. It only comes out a bit. It's hardcore stuck. What to do?

Stuck USB (1).jpg

Stuck USB (2).jpg

Last edited:
I was unable to get anything in between the USB device and the sides of the USB port because I mangled the USB device too much to where it was spread and pressing against the sides. I was able to eventually get it out by force with needle nose pliers. When I pulled it out, the port's left side's barb/hook type thing pulled inwards. I tried to move it back into place but it snapped off. Much to my surprise, the USB port still works and at full speed.

In the future, I will try the method of inserting something between the side of the port and the device before I try to pull it out.

Are there any recommendations for a small, thin, metal prying type tool that I can buy that'll make this easier?

I was unable to get anything in between the USB device and the sides of the USB port because I mangled the USB device too much to where it was spread and pressing against the sides. I was able to eventually get it out by force with needle nose pliers. When I pulled it out, the port's left side's barb/hook type thing pulled inwards. I tried to move it back into place but it snapped off. Much to my surprise, the USB port still works and at full speed.

In the future, I will try the method of inserting something between the side of the port and the device before I try to pull it out.

Are there any recommendations for a small, thin, metal prying type tool that I can buy that'll make this easier?
A nail file works great. It's flat and thin and easily slides into most tight places. Glad you got it out and happy your port still works. (y)

A nail file works great. It's flat and thin and easily slides into most tight places. Glad you got it out and happy your port still works. (y)

Edit: this is a better option.

---

Thanks! I will have to get one as the only nail file I have is really thick.

This should do the trick:

Equate Non-Slip Easy Grip Fingernail File with Cover, White @ Walmart

Equate Fingernail File.jpg

Last edited:
Back