[SOLVED] How Do I Test A Laptop DC Jack?

Appletax

Reaction score
Edit: solved - needs new charger.

Hopefully I did this right.

Set the multimeter to 20 DCV.

Plugged the black probe into COM, and the red probe into the right port.

Touched the black probe onto several of the DJ jack's black wire ends.

Touched the red probe onto several of the DC jack's red wire ends.

Reading of 0 volts.

Equals dead DC jack????

20211109_230909732_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
You can fry your meter, or at least blow its internal fuse, by connecting it wrong. If you don't have the manual for it, you can get it here: https://www.innova.com/pages/download?code=3310

The black lead ALWAYS goes in COM (common) jack. If you're measuring DC current up to 10A, the red one goes in the DC 10A jack; for everything else, it goes where you have it.

If there's not some visible breakage on the DC jack or cable, there's no reason to suspect it's bad. But now that you have it out, might as well test it. Assuming you have the AC adapter connected, and that it doesn't do something funky like shut down because it sees it's not attached to a motherboard or something like that, you should see a voltage from red to black. Just be very careful not to short any of the pins.

You can fry your meter, or at least blow its internal fuse, by connecting it wrong. If you don't have the manual for it, you can get it here: https://www.innova.com/pages/download?code=3310

The black lead ALWAYS goes in COM (common) jack. If you're measuring DC current up to 10A, the red one goes in the DC 10A jack; for everything else, it goes where you have it.

If there's not some visible breakage on the DC jack or cable, there's no reason to suspect it's bad. But now that you have it out, might as well test it. Assuming you have the AC adapter connected, and that it doesn't do something funky like shut down because it sees it's not attached to a motherboard or something like that, you should see a voltage from red to black. Just be very careful not to short any of the pins.
Thank you!

The power supply is 11.8 amps, so I went with the right port for the red probe.

I am getting 0 volts.

Tried the black probe on multiple black DJ jack black ends, and the red probe on multiple red DC jack ends.

The DC jack has very tight, well connected wires at the backend of the DC jack's tip.

So, I guess the DC jack is fried given the 0 volts reading.

I generally have the DC in the board, with charger connected the test the pins on either side of the Jack itself.
Should give a reading of 19v & test the charger as well.

Tested the OEM laptop charger. 0 volts.

I plugged a universal laptop charger into the DC jack and re-tested. I am receiving a reading of 19.8ish volts.

Interestingly, the system would not work when the universal charger was connected.

Universal charger = 90 watts.
OEM charger = 230 watts.

Should still boot up because it won't exceed 90 watts?

Universal charger = 90 watts.
OEM charger = 230 watts.

Should still boot up because it won't exceed 90 watts?

I think that one has a center pin, right? If so, it knows the AC adapter is 90w, and if that's less than it thinks it needs, it may not start because of that.

I have several of the "Universal" chargers with 15 tips and it seems I still don't have the right tip half the time, or enough wattage, or it's a Dell and requires it's own charger. I just can't win. I've started to ask all laptop customers to supply the charger they use with their laptop. It makes sure I can power the machine and I can check the brick to be sure it is working.

Back