Hp Desktop with black screen running windows 7 64bit.

Skillachi

Reaction score
Hello all,
My HP desktop running windows 7 64bit. Whenever it starts up it goes to the boot/splash screen then followed by a blank screen with blinking cursor. It also wouldn't boot from CD or DVD even if is set it to do so. I cans access the BIOS that's about it. I replace the hard drive, CD/DVD drive, one stick of memory which was no good. and data cable to the new CD/DVD drive that I put in. All the caps on the motherboard looks good, fans spins as it should. I notice whenever I press the power button is immediately goes off. I dont have to press and hold for the computer to shut off.

The weird thing is that I just finish install windows 7 ultimate with no problems installing many updates and restarting fine. when I turn of the system then turn it back on the black screen with blinking cursor appeared every time I restart the system.

System specs:
HP pavillion PC A6000
DVD/CD drive
500GB hard drive
media card reader
4GB ram
ONboard Graphics

I agree, the Mobo has a dead capacitor.
What happens if you wait about 10-15 seconds after shutdown before turning it back on?

Dear Lord people. Try the most obvious thing first. Reset the CMOS. It's just a small jumper on the board and takes 10 seconds. Reset to optimized defaults in the BIOS. Switch to a different SATA port on the board.

You mean a blinking white cursor that looks like this: _

Edit: aka the hey im trying to boot from something cursor

Yeah like that but nothing is booting up. I've deal with situation like this before but never the motherboard being the main problem, it could be this time.

The weird thing about this entire process is that sometimes it boots up perfectly fine other times its stuck at the blinking cursor.

Introduction date
13-Feb-2007
Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

I have doubts about that 7 Ultimate there. A 9yr computer is at the end of its life there. Recommend replace.

Nah bro, that is totally legit. The first thing I think when I hear "ultimate" is pirated.

Back