HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-k0024 BIOS and CMOS Issues

Billed1954

Reaction score
The whole problem started with a power surge at my client's. I can't believe after 3 replacement motherboards for this Desktop that I have the same exact problem - - COMPUTER will NOT POST, BOOT into Windows 11 without having to reset the CMOS jumpers each time, removing and reinserting brand new CMOS battery (tried 3 of them!), reseating the memory, etc. This is also a touch-screen. I have also swapped RAM and power adapters - updated all firmware to the latest BIOS, updates, drivers, etc. but as long as I reboot when engaged, updating etc., I get back in. The second motherboard I received was incorrect one from the same family HP 24-K019. Both the original motherboard and the current motherboard have the same SP #'s, and the chassis, computer system number come up the same number no matter which motherboard. The original motherboard numbers reference the HP 24-K0024 - and the replacement identifies as HP Pavilion All-In-One 27-d0244 bundle. Each time I reset the jumper cap from 3-4 to 1-2 I can get the BIOS to reset with this Checksum 502 error.

CMOS Reset.jpg

If I try to cold-start the PC after shutdown, this is all I get. What will happen is that this will display for about 30-45 seconds, then will disappear. Shortly afterwards, the screen also shuts down. I can access inside to do a power reset and setting to factory settings does not help. Have to do the battery, jumper, power drain options - Windows shift key + B or V do not help. I have done HP diagnostic hardware tests without detecting a single error - done 3 times. This is driving me absolutely CRAZY - been fighting this for over 2 months - - always lots of BIOS and CMOS with HP products I work with and this one is no exception. I am very WARY of spending on $100 on a out-of-warranty support call where I'm almost certain I'll get the same answers of what generic stuff is out there already, yet I hate to give up on this AIO which runs beautifully once I go thru the CMOS Bios reset each time. THANK YOU for READING and HELP!!

Cross1.jpeg

Likely you have a component be it a USB device or sensor that never recovered from the surge and it's something that is connecting to each new board.

As a last ditch I would disconnect as many of the interconnected devices for speakers, IRda, Touch, Light Sensor, Webcam etc. one of those is your culprit unless you have a strong of bad boards.

Back in the day you had to tattoo every HP motherboard to prepare it for the proper drivers for that model. And a tattoo is NOT the same as flashing the BIOS.

Likely you have a component be it a USB device or sensor that never recovered from the surge and it's something that is connecting to each new board.

As a last ditch I would disconnect as many of the interconnected devices for speakers, IRda, Touch, Light Sensor, Webcam etc. one of those is your culprit unless you have a strong of bad boards.

Interesting and thank you! If a sensor never recovered from the board, wouldn't that show as a hardware diagnostic? I did the cumulative hard drive test . . . different from the UEHI hardware test? . . . test results.jpeg

Back in the day you had to tattoo every HP motherboard to prepare it for the proper drivers for that model. And a tattoo is NOT the same as flashing the BIOS.
Yes, I know what you're talking about Mark. I should not have had any problem (in the present) with 2 exact motherboards with different serial numbers? Thanks!

Interesting and thank you! If a sensor never recovered from the board, wouldn't that show as a hardware diagnostic? I did the cumulative hard drive test . . . different from the UEHI hardware test? . . . View attachment 16818
Those are quick basic tests and don't cover all the possible scenarios a PC may run into. It's possible for a machine to pass them and still be defective! Open up the case and start disconnecting cables! See which one hits the spot.

I should not have had any problem (in the present) with 2 exact motherboards with different serial numbers? Thanks!
Not necessarily true. If the second mother board, in perfect working order, came from a machine with the exact same feature set then it should be ok. However if it was tattooed for a different feature set or not tattooed at all it might be problematic. But I haven't done any OEM work in over 10 years. The very last of it was when HP phased out onsite repairs of AIO's of an any type. They told the customer it was just like laptops. But @NviGate Systems observation about a something else is equally valid.

Yes, I know what you're talking about Mark. I should not have had any problem (in the present) with 2 exact motherboards with different serial numbers? Thanks!
This motherboard was updated to include the HP Pavilion All-In-One 27-d0244 bundle - previously only the HP-K0024 model.

Not necessarily true. If the second mother board, in perfect working order, came from a machine with the exact same feature set then it should be ok. However if it was tattooed for a different feature set or not tattooed at all it might be problematic. But I haven't done any OEM work in over 10 years. The very last of it was when HP phased out onsite repairs of AIO's of an any type. They told the customer it was just like laptops. But @NviGate Systems observation about a something else is equally valid.
Yes, I'm going to pursue @NviGate Systems suggestion and see if we can narrow down the offender. :-)

Back