I made a page detailing our data recovery statistics from January, 2024. Learn which models are failing most, which are most recoverable, etc.

300DDR

Reaction score
I recently conducted an in-depth analysis on our data recovery statistics for January, 2024 and I wanted to share my findings with you all. 📊

My analysis includes:
  1. Data Recovery Outcomes By Manufacturer
  2. Average Amount of Data Recovered By Manufacturer
  3. Top 20 Models Received For Data Recovery
  4. Top 20 Models: Number of Data Recovery Attempts, Successes, and Failures
  5. All Device Problems Identified By Frequency
  6. Hard Drives vs SSD/Flash devices
Whether you're an industry professional or just interested in data recovery insights, I believe you'll find this data both informative and useful. 💾🔍

Read the full report here: https://www.300dollardatarecovery.com/data-recovery-statistics/

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Most importantly, I'm interested to hear what other stats or charts people would find helpful.

-Brian

Well this confirms I've always said seagate was crappy lol. But at the same time I know they're used a ton especially when spinners were still put in everything.

so the Seagate st2000lm007 seemed to be the worst of the bunch....either a lot of laptop manufacturers were installing these and just a numbers game after that....or due to the face that its a 5400RPM drive that the user was so fed up that they threw the laptop out the window then decided it wasn't a good idea and wanted the data back. :)

Interesting as a colleague of mine was just asking about data recovery.

so the Seagate st2000lm007 seemed to be the worst of the bunch....either a lot of laptop manufacturers were installing these and just a numbers game after that....or due to the face that its a 5400RPM drive that the user was so fed up that they threw the laptop out the window then decided it wasn't a good idea and wanted the data back. :)

Interesting as a colleague of mine was just asking about data recovery.
A lot are from external drives too.

Wow - you guys are busy! I count ~300 drives worked on for the month, that's almost 14 drives for every working day! I'm just imagining the chaos my shop would be in if I had that many machines come in every day. You must have one heck of an organizational system to keep all of that straight. Hat's off to you!

Edit: And consistent power must be critical - considering that the recovery times for things are unpredictable and sometimes long. You must have a lot of UPSs and probably a generator or two. I don't know why I focus on stuff like this, but it's really amazing what it takes for different kinds of businesses to be successful. Good on 'ya for sure.

Last edited:
Wow - you guys are busy! I count ~300 drives worked on for the month, that's almost 14 drives for every working day! I'm just imagining the chaos my shop would be in if I had that many machines come in every day. You must have one heck of an organizational system to keep all of that straight. Hat's off to you!

Edit: And consistent power must be critical - considering that the recovery times for things are unpredictable and sometimes long. You must have a lot of UPSs and probably a generator or two. I don't know why I focus on stuff like this, but it's really amazing what it takes for different kinds of businesses to be successful. Good on 'ya for sure.
Thanks! Busy, indeed! :) Yes, we're very organized and that is crucial for our success.

Power is even more of an issue because we have random (1-second) power outages pretty frequently. Every computer has a UPS (we have more than 20 UPSes) and I replace about 3 a year. :( But also all the drives we're imaging too need to be on UPS too. We just had the power breaker boxes replaced last week... I'm hoping this solves that issue.

Thanks! Busy, indeed! :) Yes, we're very organized and that is crucial for our success.

Power is even more of an issue because we have random (1-second) power outages pretty frequently. Every computer has a UPS (we have more than 20 UPSes) and I replace about 3 a year. :( But also all the drives we're imaging too need to be on UPS too. We just had the power breaker boxes replaced last week... I'm hoping this solves that issue.
Interesting topic about that UPS. It does make sense as I do have one for each of my tech bench computers. I know one of my clients that I have just built a new house $$$ with their office on one of the wings. But they did install a power generator outside of their house because downtime is a big factor if the power goes out. Ever thought of putting one onto your power grid as I hear from time to to time that California does have some energy issues from time to time.

A lot are from external drives too.
ah the ol one external drive should do for me. I always sell the client 2 and get them into the habit to switch the drives every week and just recently been telling them to do cloud backup as well (not Onedrive)

Interesting topic about that UPS. It does make sense as I do have one for each of my tech bench computers. I know one of my clients that I have just built a new house $$$ with their office on one of the wings. But they did install a power generator outside of their house because downtime is a big factor if the power goes out. Ever thought of putting one onto your power grid as I hear from time to to time that California does have some energy issues from time to time.
Since I rent a storefront in a shopping center, sadly, this isn't an option. But I would like something like that (though they are pretty expensive).

I always sell the client 2 and get them into the habit to switch the drives every week and just recently been telling them to do cloud backup as well (not Onedrive)

If someone's using an external HDD, they really do need to be using two and alternating at whatever interval their data volume dictates backup.

Why not OneDrive? It can serve as an excellent backup option, with versioning built in.

If someone's using an external HDD, they really do need to be using two and alternating at whatever interval their data volume dictates backup.

Why not OneDrive? It can serve as an excellent backup option, with versioning built in.
I personally do two also (Mac)... one is a clone, the other is Time Machine for versioning. I do the latter daily, and the former bi-weekly.

Of course. the 3-2-1 method. A cloud backup is a must too. Though I usually will suggest to my clients either go with the 365 Business than the Onedrive personal or Backblaze/Carbonite. But one of those I strongly suggest. you can reinstall Windows or replace the computer at anytime but you cant replace your files. But what I'm I saying...I'm preaching to the choir.

That being said @300DDR once you retrieve the data do you put it on which brand hard drive?

Back