[REQUEST] In need of mobo standoffs + wrench tool

Appletax

Reaction score
I need to get some spare black mobo standoffs + screws to have on hand just in case. I am unsure of what to purchase. Should I get a variety of sizes? What is the most common size - is it M3.0? Should I bother with nylon ones?

Perhaps something like this?

Would be nice to have a black, silver, and bronze colored standoffs.

Should I be using mobo insulation gasket rings as seen in the above link?

I also would like to get a standoff wrench tool. Maybe a 5mm female hex socket screwdriver? Not sure about the 5mm. Or maybe various sized screwdriver bits instead.

I never bothered with nylon since beige case days. The kit you listed looks ok for the use that what you are after, I have heaps of those from PC Builds. Just grab a basic Hex driver does not have to be uber I just have a basic one from local hardware store. They are great for tightening screws or unscrewing troublesome ones with a pair of pliers.

I dont use a tool to tighten them. I use my fingers. They're supporting a mobo not a train. They will never come loose and never have.
Sure, to turn the screws to hold down mobo I use a screwdriver.

Last edited:

Even then, "ever so slightly snug" is more than enough. They don't need to be tightened like lug nuts on a car.

It amazes me how often I see all sorts of threaded connections destroyed by those who truly believe "more is better" in all cases. It's not. Tiny screws and nuts are not meant to be tightened down beyond "stop and snug." Heck, those of us in this business have taken apart heaven knows how many devices where they used blue thread locker even on the tiny screws, but do you use it when you put them back? I don't, and I've still never had one come out after reassembly over the course of decades.

I always use the rings. Doesn't cost much and doesn't add anything in time during the build.

I wonder why they aren’t included with cases.

I dont use a tool to tighten them. I use my fingers. They're supporting a mobo not a train. They will never come loose and never have.

To clarify, I just need it for removing them as they can be on quite tight.

Reactions: GTP
I understand. People tighten them down like they're holding a bridge pylon. Unnecessary.

I tried removing some from a brand new case and they were on tight. I used needle nose pliers to get them off, which scratched the black paint and revealed the silver color underneath it. Probably would not matter as much with silver and bronze standoffs.

Needlenose pliers to loosen them.
I stopped using pliers of any kind for loosening them. Maybe I'm unsteady in my old age or just inept at using pliers. I've just had too many times that the pliers slip (especially needle nosed pliers).

I use a small socket and 12" "T" Bar to loosen them. Gets my hands out of the case.

Would be nice to have a black, silver, and bronze colored standoffs.
They're not visible on a completed build though are they?
Should I be using mobo insulation gasket rings as seen in the above link?
Motherboards have earth contacts around the mounting holes, so conductive risers and mounting screws are by design. That's what I thought anyway. Hence:
I wonder why they aren’t included with cases.
And not with motherboards either.

Got these standoffs yesterday with a bunch of other unneeded pieces. The standoffs' screw piece is too long and has different threading. Also, there's typos and bad grammar on their stickers. So sick of cheap Chinese designed crap where they can't even get someone to properly translate their words to English.

Looks like these are M3*6+6 and I might need 6-32*4+6.

The only ones I can find that are made by a quality, trusted brand are brass ones from StarTech so I might buy those.

Oh, maybe I could message a case manufacturer like Corsair or NZXT and see if they would sell me some standoffs for a reasonable price.

MODDIY might also be an option, but I'd have to message them and ask which ones in which sizes to order.

Back