LCD touchscreen or Inverter Board?

billytec

Reaction score
I would like as many opinions as I can get from you guys. I want to make a decision on which part to purchase next, to see if this fixes this Gateway (model ZX4800) AIO Touchscreen Computer.

btk (billy the kid)

Last edited:
Not sure why you started a new thread.

Anyway, can you see any image at all on the screen? Shine a bright flashlight at it from varying angles and see if there is an image present. If so, there is a good chance (though no guarantee) that the inverter is the culprit. Honestly, if it's not the inverter, you may want to check the price on a replacement screen....if you can find one. My experience has been that replacing the panel on some AIO models is cost prohibitive.

I would like as many opinions as I can get from you guys. I want to make a decision on which part to purchase next, to see if this fixes this Gateway (model ZX4800) AIO Touchscreen Computer.

btk (billy the kid)

You can test the inverter with pretty much any old LCD screen, even a broken one, as long as the CCFL tube still lights up. Just plug in the two wire, high voltage plug and forget the screen cable for now.

Oh and I'd just sign off with Billy the Kid and forget BTK. Just saying' :)

Thanks guys. I'm trying to learn how to use this forum as well as find out a little bit more about this new touchscreen stuff. I'll turn 70 in May and my brain power isn't what it use to be. Anyway, this touchscreen two wire high voltage plug; is this plug into the inverter board? Is this what you are refering to? Are they about the same on all LCD screens?

billy the kid

Thanks guys. I'm trying to learn how to use this forum as well as find out a little bit more about this new touchscreen stuff. I'll turn 70 in May and my brain power isn't what it use to be. Anyway, this touchscreen two wire high voltage plug; is this plug into the inverter board? Is this what you are refering to? Are they about the same on all LCD screens?

billy the kid

All the inverter does is supply a high voltage source to power the CCFL backlight(s). If you have a very dim (no backlight) image on the screen, then the inverter could be the culprit. If, however, you do not have any image at all on the screen, then it is likely that you have other/additional issues. Again, check it with a bright flashlight.

You can also check the inverter with an old LCD panel as mentioned, but my experience with AIO units have been that they may contain multiple backlights, and the inverters are more complex (and more expensive) than those in a standard laptop. If that is the case with your unit, I suppose you could test each inverter connection individually, but that may not give you the complete story.

All the inverter does is supply a high voltage source to power the CCFL backlight(s). If you have a very dim (no backlight) image on the screen, then the inverter could be the culprit. If, however, you do not have any image at all on the screen, then it is likely that you have other/additional issues. Again, check it with a bright flashlight.

You can also check the inverter with an old LCD panel as mentioned, but my experience with AIO units have been that they may contain multiple backlights, and the inverters are more complex (and more expensive) than those in a standard laptop. If that is the case with your unit, I suppose you could test each inverter connection individually, but that may not give you the complete story.

Silverleaf,

I opened up an old LCD monitor I had and the Inverter board in it contained four connections instead of two like the one in the Gateway (ZX4800) so I did not try to connect it up to this old LCD monitor.

I then cleaned the screen in the Gateway real good with a screen cleaning substance I use; and using a very strong flashlight, like you mentioned. As the computer was booting up I was able to catch the word Gateway on the screen for a brief second. So this is telling me, I possible have a defective Inverter Board? :rolleyes:

Billy the kid

Silverleaf,

I opened up an old LCD monitor I had and the Inverter board in it contained four connections instead of two like the one in the Gateway (ZX4800) so I did not try to connect it up to this old LCD monitor.

I then cleaned the screen in the Gateway real good with a screen cleaning substance I use; and using a very strong flashlight, like you mentioned. As the computer was booting up I was able to catch the word Gateway on the screen for a brief second. So this is telling me, I possible have a defective Inverter Board? :rolleyes:

Billy the kid

Although, there are no guarantees, a defective inverter indeed sounds like the most likely culprit. Keep in mind though, that a failure anywhere in the chain can cause a backlight failure...On-board control circuitry/GPU -> inverter cable -> inverter -> inverter cable -> CCFL tube. Without a way to test your inverter or your panel to be certain, you won't know for sure.

Faced with this scenario, I'd take the risk and order an inverter if they were available at a reasonable price. Worst case, you find out that the CCFL/panel is bad and cost prohibitive to replace, so you end up stuck with the inverter.

Inverter board it is!!!

Although, there are no guarantees, a defective inverter indeed sounds like the most likely culprit. Keep in mind though, that a failure anywhere in the chain can cause a backlight failure...On-board control circuitry/GPU -> inverter cable -> inverter -> inverter cable -> CCFL tube. Without a way to test your inverter or your panel to be certain, you won't know for sure.

Faced with this scenario, I'd take the risk and order an inverter if they were available at a reasonable price. Worst case, you find out that the CCFL/panel is bad and cost prohibitive to replace, so you end up stuck with the inverter.

I will agree with that thought, however remember I had swapped out with a new motherboard as well as a new CPU already, so that would only leave the wires or cables as well as the CCFL tube or the panel display itself.

billy the kid:eek:

Back