Lenovo G555 AMD - Keeps locking up

joydivision

Reaction score
Job was to remove a fake AV, took me a few minutes to remove the offending items.

The problem is everytime I do a scan either with SAS or MWB it locks up (e.g the mouse and everything freezes). I've swapped the RAM with a known good stick and no different.

I have done an offline scan using Kapersky and it finds nothing.

It didn't freeze with Kaspersky, but then that uses a lot less resources than Windows.

So what do I do? It does it in safe mode too, so I can't see it being a driver issue, all the drivers look original too (checked the dates offline).

Any ideas?

I am suspecting a faulty motherboard/chipset at this point but I just wondered if anybody else has had this after a seemingly simple virus.

Didn't think of the MBR, not got far yet. As I said I know the RAM is 100% fine, I have tried three different modules! Two of them I know work perfectly as they are my test modules. Also ran memtest too.

Not tested the HD yet, because I am not getting any symptoms of HD problems but I will test it.

The symptons are rootkit (but offline scan found nothing), dodgy driver, faulty RAM or a capacitor issue. I suppose a faulty graphics chip will cause lockups too.

Just done the HD test now, after only a few seconds I it comes back with an error code "device detective - excessive shock".

I quoted £30 for the virus removal, I don't think my client is going to be happy, but the worse comes to the worse they can just have it back.

Just done the HD test now, after only a few seconds I it comes back with an error code "device detective - excessive shock".

I quoted £30 for the virus removal, I don't think my client is going to be happy, but the worse comes to the worse they can just have it back.

They're normally not, but I always tell my customers that before any work, a quick HW check will be done before I waste their or my time. They normally take the news of bad hardware better with the fact that I'm not charging for the original quoted issue until that's resolved if they want to.

I usually say that too, but I could the laptop was less than a year old (or about 1 year old) looked in brand new condition. The last thing I was expecting was hardware issues, but that is computers for you.

I suppose the fact I could clearly see it was fake malware too, it through me off guard. Lesson learnt again I guess!.

Back