Lenovo G560 laptop screen will not switch

sys-eng

Reaction score
Lenovo G560 laptop with cracked LCD screen leaking fluid.
Connect external monitor with VGA port but does not swith to external display when pressing Fn + F3.

Could the broke LCD keep this computer from switching to the external display?

I have no experience with this particular model. Called Lenovo support and the guy there said it should switch over but could not say for sure.

I thought of that but I do not want to open it up for just a diagnosis. Too many chances to break a plastic connector etc.

The guy at Lenovo said a defective LCD screen "should" not lock up the display connection but not 100% positive. Trying to find someone with more experience with this model than me.

I thought of that but I do not want to open it up for just a diagnosis. Too many chances to break a plastic connector etc.

Opening something is part of a diagnosis. Many and I mean MANY times a diagnostic does involve swapping parts, disconnecting things, etc. If you are afraid to do hardware diagnosis and repair then refer the client to somebody who isn't afraid do it.

I'm not at home to test out. But I own this laptop, it should be f2 or f3. When hitting fn + f3 does it bring up the options to change the display.

Paul, I am thinking that it probably is bringing up options rather than just transferrrnig. The laptop LCD is completely nonfunctional so I cannot see any options if they are displayed on that screen.

Sorry about that, realized that long after my post.

When you press fn +f3 you are met with 4 options

- 1st option which is already selected is computer only

- 2nd option is duplicate

- 3rd is extend

- 4th is projector

you can select an option by using the right arrow key, once of the 2nd option, ect and hitting enter.

Best of luck

As anonmac, has stated. Strip the screen down, and then disconnect the lcd harness cable. Then try the ext display.

After all, we are only talking of around 10 screws.

Rather that trying to use the function key try powering the laptop on with the external display connected should come on automatically.

kind regards

quinnlaup

None of those methods worked. The customer gave me the go ahead to replace the LCD screen so I removed it. After installing the new screen, I will discover if the video adapter still works.

I'm confident in stating that a Broken LCD alone should have no effect on external video output. Are we sure that windows is truly booting, and your not stuck on a BIOS warning or something?

... Are we sure that windows is truly booting, and your not stuck on a BIOS warning or something?

Absolutely not. We are not sure about the status.

As I said before, the display is broke. Without seeing something displayed from the laptop, I do not know what the computer is doing except that some lights and fans come on. Connecting the disk drive to my computer shows the data fine but that does not indicate the status of the laptop.

Absolutely not. We are not sure about the status.

As I said before, the display is broke. Without seeing something displayed from the laptop, I do not know what the computer is doing except that some lights and fans come on. Connecting the disk drive to my computer shows the data fine but that does not indicate the status of the laptop.

To see if the computer is in Windows you can try turning the volume up and hitting shift 5 times in a row to hear the "Sticky Keys" sound..

Additionally you should be able to select the user account by hitting [enter][password][enter]... then a startup sound if enabled and/or you should see a bunch of HDD activity from the User profile loading... like we see all the time with computers with displays... have done this many times.

Last edited:
Wrap up this discussion

Replaced the LCD screen and everything works fine now -- hardware wise. New PC less than 3 months old but already had malware on it from downloading shared movies from who knows where.

I never did get it to connect to an external monitor without the LCD screen working. Thanks to all for the suggestions though.

Please make sure the LCD fluid did not get to the laptop internal parts and causing the VGA card damaged.

Does the laptop power On and FAN LEDs working as well?

try take the whole LCD off the laptop and retry the ext monitor.

hope this helps.
bill
tech manager

Back