Linux OS for ScreenConnect

Dave1320

Reaction score
I'm playing around with Screenconnect and I'm trying to see if others recommend a specific version of linux for hosting the software.

I have an old laptop, which I'm waiting on a new hard drive for. I've never used linux, but for the past few days I've been playing with Linux Mint Rebecca no codecs. I've purchased the $25/yr plan with no-ip.

I plan on taking this laptop, installing linux, installing screenconnect, no-ip to keep ip updated, adjust power settings to never shut off, and hide it somewhere in my house.

I've already tested the solution on my Win7 laptop and it worked outside the home. Pretty cool stuff. Router is all set up.

Any suggestions? Or, am I good with Linux mint?

Currently have Linux Mint installed on flash drive until hard drive arrives.

I was able to install screenconnect with the one liner script. Confirmed it starts on its own after reboot.

As far as noip updater, I needed to find a way to get it to start automatically. Took a bit of looking around but figured it out.

Chmoded the noip2 and config file. Added noip2 to startup programs. Rebooted and see it auto start.

Looks good. Happy with it. Really like Linux mint and thinking about replacing win7 with mint on my htpc.

I use CentOS 6 for my ScreenConnect host. Works great. Server distro without a GUI as that is not necessary (to me). Updates for 5 years so I don't have to reinstall the OS for that length of time.

I use CentOS 6 for my ScreenConnect host. Works great. Server distro without a GUI as that is not necessary (to me). Updates for 5 years so I don't have to reinstall the OS for that length of time.

I use Ubuntu Server LTS (Long Term Support) and I don't ever need to reinstall. I usually upgrade to the next LTS version. Does CentOS have that option as well?

There are unsupported upgrade paths from like version RHEL/CentOS 5 to 6, and I think 6 to 7. But I've never done them, and chose to back up important files/configs, and reinstall with new version.

You need shell access in order to install ScreenConnect. Most shared hosting plans do not include shell access or ability to run persistent programs in the background. So you need a VPS or a dedicated server to install it on where you have full access. Or you can have ScreenConnect host the service for you.

You need shell access in order to install ScreenConnect. Most shared hosting plans do not include shell access or ability to run persistent programs in the background. So you need a VPS or a dedicated server to install it on where you have full access. Or you can have ScreenConnect host the service for you.

ScreenConnect with Digital Ocean SSD VPS running Ubuntu Server LTS is pretty solid. Our VPS tops out at $10 a month. We use Azure for our Unifi controller with Ubuntu but I personally like the control panel of Digital Ocean much better than Azures.

Currently got my SC hosted on a DigitalOcean droplet for $5/mo running Ububu.
Running like a champ!
It cost me more than that to power an old Atom server at my home/office when I had it hosted here.

Currently got my SC hosted on a DigitalOcean droplet for $5/mo running Ububu.
Running like a champ!
It cost me more than that to power an old Atom server at my home/office when I had it hosted here.

How many client machines do you have running on your setup and how many sessions do you run at a time? I figured the $5/mo would be too weak. Would be interesting to know how much juice SC needs as the number of client machines grow.

How many client machines do you have running on your setup and how many sessions do you run at a time? I figured the $5/mo would be too weak. Would be interesting to know how much juice SC needs as the number of client machines grow.
About 300 unattended on that instance, and running without a hicup. I have 3 concurrent sessions open (max) at any given time and have not noticed any issues.
If I outgrow it, it's easy enough to change my droplet to a more powerful one basically on the fly, or move it from east to west coast, which I'll have to do when I move way out to the middle of the pacific come this November. :D

Hmm, that's good to know. I never tried the $5 option, just went straight to $10. We did plan on just moving it to Azure because we get it with Action Pack but I can't bring myself to like their dashboard compared to Digital Oceans.

I've got mine installed on a Linode VPS that is $10.00 a month. Also have Smokeping running on it, and soon my Asterisk PBX (moving from a more expensive VPS provider). Edit: I have 225 unattended clients and 2 concurrent sessions license. I rarely see any lag.

Last edited:
Back