[REQUEST] M.2 Confusion on Lat. 5580

nlinecomputers

Reaction score
Ok, one of my RM Clients has a Dell Latitude 15 5580 with a 256 SSD drive that is almost full. I want to upgrade to a 1TB. I have not seen the guts of this laptop and it is NOT in front of me at the moment. However, my RMM reports it has an SK Hynix SC308 which is an M.2 interface SATA drive. Dell's website has service manuals that imply that it can also take NVMe interface drives which are much faster than SATA. Both are types of M.2 interfaces but honestly, I've never seen the same interface support both SATA NGFF and NVMe. That is an assumption on my part and we all know how to spell assume. They are both M.2 interfaces but they are keyed differently.

Short of opening up this looking how can I know for sure? Anybody worked with this Dell before?
Trying to avoid ordering the wrong part.

No way to know for sure without opening the thing up, and yes it is possible for an M.2 slot to support SATA and NVME interfaces at the same time. But the only safe way forward up front is to replace the disk with another M.2 SATA device, because you know that one fits.

This laptop can do both. I would remove the bottom panel and then order or order both and return.

The ME slot requires some screw or adapter if I recall. The sata has a little tray as well.

I hate doing that. If I am not sure I will wait till I get the machine. I only return stuff that is legitimately DOA.
Margins are too thin to waste money on return shipping and/or restocking fees and I don't sell enough NVMe for me to want to just keep it. Other way around I'd do.

Whenever I am in doubt about memory and m2 drives for a particular model, I use cruical to at least see what is compatible and then look for quicker alternatives on Amazon. I usually do not have the time for cruical to ship.

I also send those clients that insist on buying it themselvs. :rolleyes:

We use crucial for first-blush as well. I just had an HP Probook or Elitebook, can't remember exactly, last week (new) where I had to quote the cost of upgrading before delivery. Crucial only offered regular SATA drives as compatible, but once we got it we found it had a 256GB NVMe drive and an empty slot for a SATA drive. It was a rush, so we just put in the 1TB SATA drive we ordered. We should have checked more - frustrating when you get it wrong.

You need an EFI capable mainboard to boot o NVMe, that's all.

Not true. The BIOS has to support booting an NVMe drive. One of my personal systems has a motherboard that wouldn't boot from PCI-e unless you updated the BIOS. The manufacturer added that capability about 2 years after the board was originally sold. However, it should be noted that ALL motherboards with an EFI BIOS can SEE a drive connected via PCI-e. They just can't necessarily boot from it.

Back