M365 to Google Workspace Migration

JoelM

Reaction score
Don't bother. I've already tried to talk the customer out of switching from M365 to Google Workspace. The decision has been made and is what will happen. If I don't do it they will find someone else who will and I plan on keeping the customer.

It is a small organization with only 20 user accounts. My question has to do with the fact that a few of the users have the archive feature enabled on E3 licenses. I have been using the built in Data Migration feature on Google Workspace and it does fine with Calendar, Contacts & Email but doesn't grab email in the archive. Is there an easy way to migrate that automatically or will I need to do some kind of manual migration using Outlook or some kind of third party migration service?

Migrationwiz can access it, but where to put it?

Also, if you ever do an M365 Tenant to Tenant migration and those archives are >100gb... they can't migrate that either. Because you cannot GROW those mailboxes via any means other than automation.

It's an archive... and it's GONE. My org officially doesn't support migration of mailbox archives for this and many more reasons.

Migrationwiz can access it, but where to put it?

Also, if you ever do an M365 Tenant to Tenant migration and those archives are >100gb... they can't migrate that either. Because you cannot GROW those mailboxes via any means other than automation.

It's an archive... and it's GONE. My org officially doesn't support migration of mailbox archives for this and many more reasons.
You can actually migrate larger archives, it just takes a little more work. I’ve successfully migrated a 250GB archive tenant to tenant. You can force the archive mailbox to grow via powershell so long as you have the proper license for “unlimited archive”

You can actually migrate larger archives, it just takes a little more work. I’ve successfully migrated a 250GB archive tenant to tenant. You can force the archive mailbox to grow via powershell so long as you have the proper license for “unlimited archive”
Incremental increases, and then you fill it and fire it again... repeat.

Try doing that crap with 500 mailboxes. No... we "just don't" do that, it's too time intense and fiddly. Sure you can do it with one mailbox, perhaps two... but once you see hundreds, it's over. There's no automation to support that action.

Also, try this with a mailbox that has over 1TB in the archive! You'll be expanding that archive in the destination FOR MONTHS!

Last edited:
Back