MacBook air 2018 looking for a dual screen setup

dee001

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am trying to come up with a solution for a MacBook air 13inch i5 1.6Ghz 8Gb memory 2018 laptop user that wants to be able to sit at their desk and use a normal keyboard, magic mouse and dual screen's. I don't see any docking options so we are trying to debate if we should use an older desktop iMac 2011 i5 2.5 GHz 12Gb memory and connect another monitor to it for when they are at their desk and use the mac book air when outside of the office, and set up all their doc's in iCloud but my concern with this option they may feel a bit of difference in speed. My question is can the laptop be set up to do this? If not would the desktop iMac option be such a downgrade that the user will feel it and miss their laptop while working at their desk? Any suggestions or better ideas?

it has 2 x usb c thunderbolt if I'm correct. so you can get something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/LC-dolida-USB-Hub-Adapter-Reader-Dark-grey-5-1/dp/B0756Q94HV/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2DWVJRAYYA5B2&keywords=usb+c+hub&qid=1564995671&s=gateway&sprefix=usb+c+,aps,158&sr=8-3 for usb to a keyboard etc. and something like this for the screens https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thunderbol...rbold+adapter&qid=1564995557&s=gateway&sr=8-6 its a case of then just unplugging the usb c cables and going when needing the laptop. (I'm uk based by the way hence uk amazon)

Thanks, do you think we would have to leave the laptop open for this to work? I am just thinking of the desk size, we would have the laptop open two monitors, keyboard and mouse all on the desk. I would love if there was a way I could set this up with the laptop off to the side

Why are you concerned about the speed of the iMac solution? Is it because the computer is older or because you think iCloud would slow it down? if it's iCloud then I think it would be fine. You can use iCloud Drive to sync Desktop and Documents folders and they'll live locally on each, so no real speed hit.

Why are you concerned about the speed of the iMac solution? Is it because the computer is older or because you think iCloud would slow it down? if it's iCloud then I think it would be fine. You can use iCloud Drive to sync Desktop and Documents folders and they'll live locally on each, so no real speed hit.
My concern with this option is would the user feel a big difference in speed at her desk using the iMac and would it be an option to connect a second monitor to the iMac. I do believe the iCloud keeping the data in sync will work but speed is my biggest concern unless you can point out any other issue that may arise that I am not thinking of.

Thanks, do you think we would have to leave the laptop open for this to work? I am just thinking of the desk size, we would have the laptop open two monitors, keyboard and mouse all on the desk. I would love if there was a way I could set this up with the laptop off to the side
From what I can remember es unless you change the power options to stop the lid from making it sleep etc. but it has been a while since I did it

Back