[REQUEST] MacBook Pro (17-Inch, Mid-2010) Bad GPU?

Appletax

Reaction score
Got an Apple MacBook Pro (17-Inch, Mid-2010) that reboots unexpectedly.

MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues (no longer available)
  • Symptom: Computer Restarts Unexpectedly
  • Only applies to early-late 2011 models
    • PowerBook Medic says the computer was assembled on December 2010 - right on the cusp of 2011.

Customer had the laptop worked on by another company. It originally was experiencing kernel panics and unexpected reboots.

They did a fresh installation of macOS 10.2 Sierra (which booted up fine) but did not include the password, so I attempted to do a fresh installation of macOS 10.3 High Sierra. It rebooted during the process and brought me back to the flash drive's High Sierra main screen. Installed it again and same problem occurred. Just before the shutdown I noticed the fans get much louder.

According to Rossman Group:
  • Reballing the GPU, replacing the GPU, and swapping the logic board are not real fixes and on their website they say that they cannot repair 2011 MacBook Pros.
    • "The 2011 Macbook Pro GPU issue will never be permanently solved due to lack of good chipsets available. These we do not repair."
  • Their tip to have Apple repair the issue and stress test the GPU till it breaks again and doing so until Apple just gives you a new 15-inch MacBook Pro does not work because
    • 1) They will just keep repairing the issue
    • 2) This computer is listed as vintage so they no longer work on it at all.
    • Solution: buy a new computer.
  • Reballing is BS Video - How to Get Your 2011 MacBook Fixed Video

Specs:
  • Machine #: MacBookPro6,1
  • Model #: A1297
  • Serial #: C02DX0P4DC7C
  • Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHz
  • 8GB (4x2) Mushkin RAM (Apple OE)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (512MB) + Intel HD Graphics (256MB)
  • 750GB Toshiba HDD (installed by the PC shop that worked on it before)

Diagnostics

• Apple Hardware Test passed
  • FirstAid said there were no issues
  • 85W Apple charger used
  • Apple-made battery installed
  • No liquid damage detected

Here's the notes from the other company's work they did:
  • Kernel panics
  • MRI test passed
  • EFI test passed
  • Remove SSD (the customer swapped it out with an HDD)
  • Install 10.12
  • Restarted by itself
  • MRI test passed
  • No UST test
  • OS test passed

Last edited:
There is a bootrom update needed for some Macs that get upgraded to High Sierra.
Without it the system can’t boot from the internal drive.
I think the update is only available to AASPs as I haven’t been able to find a download for it on apple’s website.
Did you format the internal drive to the new apfs?
Try change it back to the older file system format.

There is a bootrom update needed for some Macs that get upgraded to High Sierra.
Without it the system can’t boot from the internal drive.
I think the update is only available to AASPs as I haven’t been able to find a download for it on apple’s website.
Did you format the internal drive to the new apfs?
Try change it back to the older file system format.

I had to use the Terminal to delete the AFS volume before I could go back to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system.

That allowed me to install High Sierra, but I still get unexpected reboots caused by kernel panics.

While the Apple Hardware Test found 0 issues, look what MemTest86 for Mac found thus far (still working):

IMG_20180101_023144.jpg

Also, the boot ROM updates can be found here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202040

I was able to install the SMC update but the boot ROM update requires OSX 10.9.5.

Last edited:
While the Apple Hardware Test found 0 issues

Colour me cynical, but that's pretty much what the AHT is for - reassuring the user that whatever's wrong isn't Apple's fault. If the AHT finds something that's great, but if it doesn't you still need to keep testing with third-party tools. (It's not just Apple - the same is true of most manufacturers' hardware tests.)

I was able to install the SMC update but the boot ROM update requires OSX 10.9.5.

And as you've installed the SMC update on a machine with known-bad RAM you can't trust it to be undamaged, so you get to do it all again once you've replaced (and retested) the RAM.

This is why we always run the memory test first!

Last edited:
And as you've installed the SMC update on a machine with known-bad RAM you can't trust it to be undamaged, so you get to do it all again once you've replaced (and retested) the RAM.

This is why we always run the memory test first!
Right! Will get the proper Ram rest out of the way first next time. Apparently I can't rely on Apples hardware testing.

There's relatively few errors so perhaps that's why the issue isn't constantly happening and I was able to get the OS loaded.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Colour me cynical, but that's pretty much what the AHT is for - reassuring the user that whatever's wrong isn't Apple's fault. If the AHT finds something that's great, but if it doesn't you still need to keep testing with third-party tools. (It's not just Apple - the same is true of most manufacturers' hardware tests.)

Yeah, I've never seen AHT report a problem with a machine that has obvious problems. Even the couple of times I was at the Genius Bar! When I asked the Apple tech he said they would replace whatever. LOL!!!!

Found that 1 of the RAM sticks is bad but the other 1 is fine.

Reinstalled the OS **with** Apple File System and it works great.

Ordered a replacement G.SKILL RAM kit to replace both sticks so they are identical and because MemTest says the good RAM "...may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips.”

I also have an early-2011 17" MacBook Pro from the same customer that goes to a black screen. RAM is testing just fine. Bet the AMD GPU is cooked.

Last edited:
Back