My Facebook Experiment

CraiGDaniel

Reaction score
So i was brain storming the best way to get some free adverts for my company out to thousands of FB users in my area, when i stumbled across something.

My girlfriend frequently visited the facebook 'For Sale [Town/State]' pages. Basically if you search 'For Sale Clacton (for me)' in the facebook search bar, you will see a list of pages with people actively selling their items, that you can like and post in.

Now in my area there are about 5 pages with active posters. All have between 1-8000 likes. All these likes are active locals browsing these pages.

I targetted the page with the most activity and likes, this page had about 8000 likes and someone would post a personal item for sale every 10 minutes on average. Lots of local traffic, yum yum yum.

I started posting in the basic way everyone else was, a nice little paragraph and a picture. This would then be posted to the wall of this specific selling page. This was great. I generated about 15 replies over a week for the certain service i was offering of which 5 became customers.

The problem i had was the listing was quickly getting to the bottom of the pages... to the point you would have to scroll down and click 'more posts' etc. This wasnt a problem as i could just repost, great. Still generating leads and all for free.

This worked amazingly for me for 2 weeks until i had a thought.. perhaps i could contact the owner of the selling page, and see if he will post my service on his wall, for say 5% of the profit i earn per customer i get from him.

I had a reply and he said he's willing to do that. I gave him the add to post and some details. He posted the add for me on the first page you see when clicking on this for sale page. Right at the top, clearly visible to every visitor that came to this page, all 8000 locals.

Needless to say within 1 hour i had 18 replies and growing. Every 20 minutes i was getting new replies, i was dishing out quotes constantly. I eventually asked the owner to take the post down as i can't handle the volume and i'm not officially launched yet. WOW.

Now, i'm in the UK and i don't know if in the USA you have similar FB pages with 'For Sale Michigan' For example. But trust me, this is a business generator.

Hopefully this info will help some of you in your marketing/advertising ventures. It worked for me and i will 100% be deploying this method when i am officially active.

Wow thats really good Craig!

What population are you working in? I'm sure a page with 8000 likes probably has 16000 or so viewing it, not everyone "likes" a page they look at. Eye opening bit of information though, thanks very much for posting!

All those type group around here will immediately block you for spamming if you post an add to sell even anything through the business.... so if I post a used computer for sale and I say pick it up at sprinter technology services store then it's deleted.....

Definately worth creating your own, my competitor actually created a page and it has 2000 active users. He frequently posts his own adverts on there and gets work. He also blocks any other business who post.

However in my experience in the UK these for sale pages are very good with local business and allow advertisements, as long as you don't spam and annoy people.

If the owners of the pages in your state/town are funny about businesses posting then make your own, and post your own add frequently. No one can block you then, it really is worth the effort and people do join if you spread the word.

Also the great thing is not many people know about this form of advertising. Facebook is seriously powerful and it's prime time to tap into that advertising.

Definately worth creating your own, my competitor actually created a page and it has 2000 active users. He frequently posts his own adverts on there and gets work. He also blocks any other business who post.

However in my experience in the UK these for sale pages are very good with local business and allow advertisements, as long as you don't spam and annoy people.

If the owners of the pages in your state/town are funny about businesses posting then make your own, and post your own add frequently. No one can block you then, it really is worth the effort and people do join if you spread the word.

Also the great thing is not many people know about this form of advertising. Facebook is seriously powerful and it's prime time to tap into that advertising.

There was no group for my city/area... so I just created one!
www.facebook.com/groups/409018049124150

Looks good Sprinter! Just keep spreading the word, these things take some time to build. Once it's got 1k members or so people will flock in i bet, and you get to control who see's what.

:D

Looks good Sprinter! Just keep spreading the word, these things take some time to build. Once it's got 1k members or so people will flock in i bet, and you get to control who see's what.

:D

yea I am heavily involved with a rideshare group and a few others.... I feel although we don't have a TON of likes (~200) it works well...... as long as I see people walking in the door I'm alright!

My town is much smaller and doesnt have this page (or at least the one I found had about 100 members) however I am keen to tap facebook as an advertising resource,

Does anyone know how to find a list of favourite pages amongst your friends.
ie site 1 is like by 100 of your friends
site 2 is liked by 80 of your friends.

and so on.

My wife and I have a garage sale type Facebook group we administer. There are roughly 700 users right now. Its gets pretty heavy traffic. This one group is just for 3 small towns in my area. There are other groups that we work with in surrounding communities. In total I figure there are about 3 to 5 thousand users in a 30 to 50 mile radius. This is really great exposure.

However there are some issues. Most Admins do there best to keep the pages as clean and usable as possible. So generally just advertising is frowned upon.

We have people use the Docs area to advertise. Others groups use that along with one thread they keep bumped to the main page for these types of things.

My thought was to create a Business directory for my county and the county next door where business could advertise their services. I would advertise this group on all the other Garage sale sites we have access to. I think it would be well worth the effort to maintain given the possible exposure it could have.

Dont the site owners posts get buried the same as everyone else's? How does it stay visible?

Some owners change the settings so that their posts have their own wall, and everyone who visits that page goes to that wall first. People then have to click 'Everyone, Most Recent' to bring up a wall with everyones posts.

If its a group you can't pin. The admins need to be active in keeping their message at the top. I was hoping for the timeline pin feature in groups, but there is not one yet

The way a couple of the pages in my town have been setup, the first thing you see when you goto the page is a completely seperated wall for just the owners posts.

Everyone knows you need to click Show posts from everyone else at the top right of these pages to show the real for sale posts.

It can be setup that way and it's the best way to do it IMO.

Back