new system

Pants

Reaction score
Thought I would share the specs for my new system, which I'm going to be using for practicing server virtualization and various other tasks. This is actually the first brand new system I've ever built. The EFI bios is pretty cool. This motherboard has so many features on it I'm going to be playing with it for months till I know everyting it can do.

Case: Thermaltake Overseer

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2/0

Video card: Radeon HD 5450 (video card was given to me)

CPU: AMD FX Black Edition 6-core

8 GB ram (for starters)

USB 2.0 Blue Ray burner

It was restarting and freezing at first. Tried moving the ram modules, updating drivers, and service packs, but nothing worked except for a ram voltage increase. Runs very stable now.

Picture attached for see..

Attachments

• IMG_20130615_213727.jpg
    IMG_20130615_213727.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
For serious "learning" about virtualizing, assuming you want to learn this to start getting into supporting business clients and their servers, I highly recommend sticking with Tier-1 brand servers with their fully supported hardware. HP Proliants, Dell PowerEdges. Far better support from VMWare and Server Hyper-V, and you'll need to learn the skills of working with those real hardware based RAID controllers, and remote tools like iLo or iDrac.

Thanks for that HUGE tip. This computer is actually more geared as a tool for helping me troubleshoot other computers and helping me take residential customers. Before I had pretty much junk to work with. I haven't taken any residential clients for a while and I'm going to start again soon. I figured I can take advantage of the multi-core processor to learn basics of virtualization and continue learning the basic software functions of Server operating systems. But business support IS my goal, so I will start looking into one of those daddys you mentioned, which I'm glad you did. :)

Oh yah, this motherboard does have built in RAID hardware.

Last edited:
Look online for some used servers, to use as your sandbox. can pickup cheap servers that may be 5 years old...for a couple of hundred bucks, to learn how to work with the hardware, install, fiddle with.

Back