Next up? Dell......

Markverhyden

Reaction score
So Dell's the latest to fall victim to a breach. Started on 2022 and detected by Dell early 2023. Just got notice two days ago.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 9.29.38 AM.png

Thanks @britechguy not sure why I saw late instead of early.

Last edited:
So Dell's the latest to fall victim to a breach.

Quelle Surprise. I have my doubts tht there is any large entity that has NOT been hit by a breach. Whether they've all fessed up . . .

Started on 2022 and detected by Dell late 2023. Just got notice two days ago.

This is concerning. Since data so obtained has a very short useful life, and mostly because "word gets out" and locking down done promptly, a delay like this is unacceptable.

"Sometime in 2022" is awfully vague, and the fact that the article says the breach, "went undetected for several months before finally being discovered in early 2023," it really makes me wonder when that initial "sometime" was as well as "how early in 2023?" December 2022 to January 2023 is very different than May 2022 to February 2023 (figures pulled out of my posterior for the sake of conversation, and are not based on any real information).

So Dell's the latest to fall victim to a breach. Started on 2022 and detected by Dell late 2023. Just got notice two days ago.

View attachment 16275
It appears these are breaches to registration information only? If so, mine are all safe. None of mine are registered, since I don't buy or sell new [with warranty] laptops.

It appears these are breaches to registration information only? If so, mine are all safe. None of mine are registered, since I don't buy or sell new [with warranty] laptops.
I've never purchased anything new from Dell so nothing has been registered per se. But that email address has been used for years to log in and check service tags, BOM's etc for existing machines. My used ones as well as customers, which have included new as well. Also used to create a "order" which I then forward to a customer so they can replicate it making an order.

I've never purchased anything new from Dell so nothing has been registered per se. But that email address has been used for years to log in and check service tags, BOM's etc for existing machines. My used ones as well as customers, which have included new as well. Also used to create a "order" which I then forward to a customer so they can replicate it making an order.
I never log in to check the service tag information or download updated firmware. And I never created an account at Dell. Maybe that's why I never got the email you did?

Back