Outlook hangs while synchronizing folders

Haole Boy

Reaction score
Aloha everyone. Working an issue with Outlook 2013 running on Win 10 Build 1703 x64. Problem occurrs when trying to send/receive IMAP email provided by his ISP.

Send / receive is having problems. It runs for about 5 minutes and hangs on the "synchronizing subscribed folders" phase. Then you get a prompt to enter your password (which is stored on the machine) again. If you enter the password, you immediately get the enter your password prompt again. Your only way out is to cancel the send/receive. What's strange is that Outlook does actually send and receive any pertinent emails.

At first I suspected his .OST file was corrupted, so I ran scanpst. It finished very fast (5 seconds or so) instead of the several minutes I'm used to. Looking at the logfile for scanpst (scanpst.log.txt attached) it looks like it found a bunch of errors, but it is unclear if it actually fixed them. Can someone who speaks Outlook please take a look at this log file and give me some feedback? Mahalo.

There are also a LOT of synchronization error logs available. Here is what one of them looks like. Searching on the error code did not result in anything helpful.

17:27:49 Synchronizer Version 15.0.4937.1000
17:27:49 Synchronizing Mailbox 'w@hawaii.rr.com'
17:27:49 Synchronizing local changes in folder 'Inbox'
17:29:02 Error synchronizing folder
17:29:02 [800CCC0E-0-0-430]
17:29:02 Done

Searching the web, I found a few posts suggesting that I create a new send/receive group and to uncheck the box for "Get folder unread count for subscribed folders". Did not help.

I also noticed that there were 2 OST files in his directory, but his outlook is configured to access only one of them (see attachment (outlook ost folder.txt). The smaller (500 MB) OST is the one that is configured as his data file in Outlook. Why is the other OST file being opened also?

Mahalo for your assistance!

Harry Z.

Attachments

Did you see this

Update :
Issue has been fixed, and i would like to share how i fixed this issue so that anyone else facing similar issue can overcome
1) Login to your webmail
2) Move all your mails from subfolders to your main inbox
3) Delete the subfolders from WebMail
4) Create new subfolders from Webmail
5) Now create a new IMAP account with Outlook 2013
Weirdest part is I really dont understand how come outlook 2013 accepts newly created imap folders, but fails to subscribe to old subfolders

https://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/289569-outlook-2013-imap-issues.html

Aloha Mark! Yes, I did stumble across that one, but it looks like the customer will lose ALL the organization they have defined with the various subfolders. This guy has a bunch of folders and I don't think he will be very happy with me if he has to re-organize years of email. Or am I not understanding what this solution is doing? (I haven't used Outlook for 10 years or more... could be I'm confused).

Mahalo,

Harry Z.

Aloha Mark! Yes, I did stumble across that one, but it looks like the customer will lose ALL the organization they have defined with the various subfolders. This guy has a bunch of folders and I don't think he will be very happy with me if he has to re-organize years of email. Or am I not understanding what this solution is doing? (I haven't used Outlook for 10 years or more... could be I'm confused).

Mahalo,

Harry Z.

As I understand it Harry you're tearing it down and building it again so to speak. You could test with just one folder to see if the process works. Another thought came to mind. Did you try creating an new machine account and setting up outlook again. That will force it so recreate everything after Outlook links with the IMAP server. Might be easier to move him over to that.

Hi Mark. I had sent an email to the customer with instructions on how to create a new Outlook profile (he is technically capable of this), and have not heard from him since. Just sent an email asking for status. Is creating a new Outlook profile the same as "creating a new machine account"? The only machine account I'm familiar with is associated with a domain environment. This is a home user.

Mahalo!

Harry Z

Sorry Harry, what I meant was a new user on the machine. Completely new profile settings, including Outlook when that is setup.

Thanx for the clarification. Customer tried something and he thinks it's fixed. But he's real busy and can't spend time talking with me. :-(

Not exactly sure what he did. Will follow up with him later this week. Again, mahalo for taking the time to respond.

Harry Z

Back