Outlook service not releasing

autumn

Reaction score
G day all

has anyone had a solution to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-in-task/2450cefe-13a5-4c99-845d-a05c3490333a basically, Outlook when closed doesn't close and has a service running in the background. And won't open until it is killed or the computer restarted.

The clients Outlook is 2016, has 2 gmail accounts and a pop account setup. The pop account has forwarding to one of the gmails (as a just in case something doesn't forward, I can most likely remove that account)

Thanks

TIm

G day all

has anyone had a solution to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-in-task/2450cefe-13a5-4c99-845d-a05c3490333a basically, Outlook when closed doesn't close and has a service running in the background. And won't open until it is killed or the computer restarted.

The clients Outlook is 2016, has 2 gmail accounts and a pop account setup. The pop account has forwarding to one of the gmails (as a just in case something doesn't forward, I can most likely remove that account)

Thanks

TIm
I'm seeing this on my personal unit, with current Outlook. A reboot is the only work around I've found, or swapping to Outlook PRE. I cannot do the latter due to ancient Quickbooks I don't want to pay to upgrade.

But I digress, also be aware that Outlook 2016 and 2019 both die next October, so a software upgrade should be discussed.

I had that problem a lot a few years ago (365) on my own PC. I suspect the problem was triggered by the email hosting server I was using at the time (now changed) or just fixed by updates.

Have you gone into File > [Office] Account and checked for updates?

Outlook hangs with any email accounts, I try to do FILE/Exit vs the right corner X way of closing, it seems to behave better. And people should really stop closing Outlook unless they are rebooting/shutting off. It's like a fridge, just keep it on all the time.

365 will hang too. I think it's a variety of issues, from AV to whatever. I see it all the time.

And people should really stop closing Outlook unless they are rebooting/shutting off. It's like a fridge, just keep it on all the time.
When it was happening to me a few years ago, I was finding email delivery wasn't working and HAD to close Outlook to try and get it working again. Then I had to use Task Manager to end the task. It was happening every 2-3 days, at the time I couldn't find a solution. Went away with new hosting provider (I think).

I had that problem a lot a few years ago (365) on my own PC. I suspect the problem was triggered by the email hosting server I was using at the time (now changed) or just fixed by updates.

Have you gone into File > [Office] Account and checked for updates?
Yep done this. The only thing I haven't done is an online restore however I'm a bit loath to do that as I'm not sure where (or email address) the license key is. And from what I've read it doesn't seem to fix the issue.

I am going to get rid of the 3rd Pop account and also put a bat file on the desktop to kill the process when it happens for them. Simple solution but was seeing if anyone else had a permanent solution.

I'd migrate that PST to the IMAP account, or better Exchange. Also, PST can cause the issue for a few reasons, size, age, is it in OneDrive?

Back