[REQUEST] Parts Supplier for Laptops and Tablets

~Wendy~

Reaction score
I've been using eBay for the most part but am getting frustrated trying to find OEM-like parts. I have used HP's Partsurfer for a while and Dell's website to get the OEM number but finding what I need is very inefficient. I did look at the resources part of this site and I know there is a list *somewhere* but can't find it now.

I'd like to just plug a description or PN into a search bar and come up with a reliable single source but have not been successful thus far.

On a related note-I'm in the US and ordered a bottom plastics from the Russian Federation. This is new, I've never seen anything available to us from there before the idiot Trump was elected. I did order it because I wanted to test the service out. Anyone else see this?

All I can say is a large number of places that I used to recommend for buying aftermarket wintel OEM parts have gone away, can't make a living. Blueraven is one example. CompUSA used them for years, very reliable. But I don't due much break/fix these days. About a year ago I was looking for some HP laptop parts. Went to Blueraven and they were no more. Fortunately printer parts are still viable. Dell does allow you to order repair parts last I checked.

There are a few places that have their own web presence if you Google a part number, but they are either extremely expensive or in my case no shipping to Canada.

Getting parts on eBay is hit and miss.

What I have started to do is give trade in value and move clients to refurbished machines. Then I have time to source a part.

Other than that, yeah it's tough.

We've discussed in other threads. Amazon Prime continues to be our primary supplier(s). Everything comes 2nd day (including Sunday) so you are ready for Monday morning. Next day delivery is only a few dollars more. Inventory from its network of suppliers is incredible. Returns are quick and painless. Great prices. Excellent tracking, history, etc. Very hard to beat. I've found I carry less stuff on hand knowing I can have it tomorrow for just a few dollars.

Thank you, all. Diggs can you link to the discussion? I spent some time searching within the forums and didn't find. I just opened a new Amazon Prime for business account, do they offer discounts by chance? I didn't see anything in their TOS...additionally the prices seem to change depending on which IP I browse from. I'm a little baffled by that although I heard that they do it based on your browsing habits. What do you all think of NewEgg? I've had a Premier account with them for 4 years and not happy with pricing at all.

What do you all think of NewEgg?
I will never buy from them again. Their return process is absolute BS, to the point of blaming us for a DOA drive. Amazon on the other hand will ship you a replacement before you even get the original packaged for a return, no hassle whatsoever. 

I will never buy from them again. Their return process is absolute BS, to the point of blaming us for a DOA drive. Amazon on the other hand will ship you a replacement before you even get the original packaged for a return, no hassle whatsoever. 
Same experience and conclusion here. Had a mb that got damaged in shipping (a freaking hole through the box). Sent it back without even opening it (ain't gunna trust that) and they rejected it because it had bent CPU socket pins...

I just about fell out of my chair, and they actually argued with me. I told then to "get f**ked" and hung up never to do business with them again.

I do like their website though, so I use it to build out a computer, then just search the model numbers on Amazon. Never had trouble with an Amazon return, and the people I talked to were always cordial.

I've been using eBay for the most part but am getting frustrated trying to find OEM-like parts. I have used HP's Partsurfer for a while and Dell's website to get the OEM number but finding what I need is very inefficient. I did look at the resources part of this site and I know there is a list *somewhere* but can't find it now.

I'd like to just plug a description or PN into a search bar and come up with a reliable single source but have not been successful thus far.

On a related note-I'm in the US and ordered a bottom plastics from the Russian Federation. This is new, I've never seen anything available to us from there before the idiot Trump was elected. I did order it because I wanted to test the service out. Anyone else see this?

What kind of parts exactly are you looking for ?

From my experience, most laptops parts (bezels, covers, cables or motherboards) are pretty much hit and miss on Ebay. Mostly hits, very few misses.
LCD's are easy to get good dedicated suppliers.
HDD'S, memory or are standard so any local supplier is easy to find.
Laptop keyboards you can get very good sources on Ebay too.

A one stop for all parts is simply impossible, you have to develop a list of suppliers.

Thank you, all. Diggs can you link to the discussion? I spent some time searching within the forums and didn't find. I just opened a new Amazon Prime for business account, do they offer discounts by chance? I didn't see anything in their TOS...additionally the prices seem to change depending on which IP I browse from. I'm a little baffled by that although I heard that they do it based on your browsing habits. What do you all think of NewEgg? I've had a Premier account with them for 4 years and not happy with pricing at all.

I'm not finding the one I remember either. Here is where we talked about whole-goods distributors.
https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/distributors-who-do-you-use-and-why.68407/#post-535352
...and for years New Egg was the place to go (remember them as Egg Head Software?) but not so much anymore......

Bottom Plastic? Bottom part of a laptop shell case? Through Ebay? Let us know how this goes. Interesting being from Russia.

@occsean I've never heard of Hover Hound. How cool! ...and it only does New Egg and Amazon which is right on target. Thanks!

Last edited:
... do they offer discounts by chance? I didn't see anything in their TOS...additionally the prices seem to change depending on which IP I browse from.
No discounts from Amazon in Europe. Additionally, their prices can be very volatile, day to day.

I keep an eye on their prices for a few common parts and a Samsung EVO 850 250 GB changed from 115 €, to 89 € and finally 99 € in the space of a single week (week before last). It can play havoc with quotes.

No question that their service and, especially, returns policy, is worth a premium for low-volume buyers.

New Egg was the place to go (remember them as Egg Head Software?)

I thought that for years as well - I mean, who intentionally would choose "egg" as part of their tech company name? They had to be related, right?

Anyway, from the Wikipedia article on Newegg:

[The company has no relation to the Egghead Software chain that was active from 1984-2001.]

Great links-thank you for the information. I'm taking all into consideration. The bottom case/plastics shipped from Lithuania, is it a part of the Russian Federation now? Well we will see what happens.

I mostly need things like power jacks, cords and items related to normal fixes with tablets and laptops. I take in old laptops and rebuild for poor families that need one for school, etc...(also combat Veterans.) when I have time in between getting my computer science degree and regular repair/consulting work.

I thought that for years as well - I mean, who intentionally would choose "egg" as part of their tech company name? They had to be related, right?

Anyway, from the Wikipedia article on Newegg:

[The company has no relation to the Egghead Software chain that was active from 1984-2001.]

Ahh! Thanks for clearing up that technomyth I've heard repeated many times.

My daughter spent the first part of the winter in Bulgaria with friends. The older generations want things to return to what was and the younger can't wait for things to change fast enough. No going back and obviously where Bulgaria is at they aren't worried about expansionist issues. No big culture shock for her really except the language and the Internet has encouraged the youth of Bulgaria to speak English well.

No big culture shock for her really except the language and the Internet has encouraged the youth of Bulgaria to speak English well.
This is very common in most Eastern European countries nowadays. It is not what it used to be.

As far as Amazon and prices: it is just a matter of time before the prices will go up and/or something disrupting it this price and shipping convenience. Amazon is implementing their philosophy of gaining a customer's business for the long term, even at the cost of not being profitable now, as it has been the case for many years. So far, it has worked for them.

Back