Phone placed on touchpad turns off laptop screen and logs me out

Appletax

Reaction score
Phone: iPhone 14 Pro.

Computer: Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1.

A few minutes ago, I laid my iPhone on my touchpad and the computer screen went black. Removing the phone turned the screen back on and I was logged out. It only happens when I put the phone on or super close to the right side of the touchpad. It also happens when in the BIOS. So strange!

I wonder why this is happening. I sure hope it doesn't damage anything 😵

Edit: well, a simple Google search gave me the reason lol.

"My bet is that the magnet for the MagSafe accessories is activating the magnetic closure switch which makes the laptop think the clamshell is closed.

Actually, that's exactly what it is. I just used my Pixel 6 with the Moment MagSafe adapter case and it did the same exact thing.

Edit 2: I tried this on my Lenovo Legion 7 16ACHg6 (Ryzen 9 5900HX, 3080 16GB) and it does not do this.

Last edited:
Yep. I've dealt with this on various laptops/customers.

It's usually a lady with some sort of magnetic bracelet (Many Diabetics wear magnetic-clasp "Alert Jewelry"), but sometimes a phone/accessory as well - where they used the laptop's front edge as a 30ish degree prop.

On many laptops, you can use a rare-earth magnet and run it along the edges of the case, and the screen will turn off. It both shows where the magnetic switch is - and where the corresponding magnets are placed within the top-edge of the screen assembly. I keep a few magnets around for just that situation and diagnosis, as well as for a fun demonstration to clients when the time arises.

On many newer laptops, this "problem" has been largely fixed. Apple fixed it with their "Lid Degree" sensor in the LCD hinge.
Everyone else does a combination of having two magnetic sensors (Which is unlikely to be tripped accidentally) and/or having direction-sensitive N-S magnet sensors or directional Hall effect sensors.

Back