Selling ancient MacBook Pro : upgrade or not the operating system.

Peperonix

Reaction score
Usually, prior selling an ancient Mac, I would tend to reinstall it or upgrade it to the latest possible version of the OS.

But I know that "making things new" can sometimes be a bad idea.
For instance, in numismatics it is recommanded not cleaning old coins, even if they are oxydized or dirty, as they may loose a large part of their market value.

With truly antique computers, I would keep the original system as there is a historical substance that needs to be respected.
Example: a computer running Windows 1.

With ancient but still not antique computers, that can still be easily found on the market (eg. MacBook Pro 2008 - 2012), I am more undecided.

Some times ago, a client purchased me an old MacBook Pro A1211 (2006), with OS X Snow Leopard.
He was obsessed that everything was original. Even, he wanted the MacBook serial number printed on its original packaging to be same.
I have to admit that this type of client is rather rare, but it does exist.

I also have seen clients that wanted a past OS X version because they were looking for a specific version of past software like GarageBand, or ancient versions of iWork. Sometimes, older versions offered more features, that were disabled afterwards, but few people know it.

So globally, I would summarize that the average user would prefer the most recent OS, whilst some more expert users may prefer the older system.
My question is what gives the best chance to easily sell old MacBooks : keep them with original OS X version or upgrade them to the latest one?
The fact is that most buyers will be unable to upgrade the system by themselves.

I currently have here a MacBook Pro 15'' mid-2010 running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.1, with SSD inside.
Before selling it on a marketplace, I would tend to upgrade it to High Sierra 10.13.6.
Good or bad idea?

Do some of you have experience with selling old and vintage computers?

Usually, prior selling an ancient Mac, I would tend to reinstall it or upgrade it to the latest possible version of the OS.

But I know that "making things new" can sometimes be a bad idea.
For instance, in numismatics it is recommanded not cleaning old coins, even if they are oxydized or dirty, as they may loose a large part of their market value.

With truly antique computers, I would keep the original system as there is a historical substance that needs to be respected.
Example: a computer running Windows 1.

With ancient but still not antique computers, that can still be easily found on the market (eg. MacBook Pro 2008 - 2012), I am more undecided.

Some times ago, a client purchased me an old MacBook Pro A1211 (2006), with OS X Snow Leopard.
He was obsessed that everything was original. Even, he wanted the MacBook serial number printed on its original packaging to be same.
I have to admit that this type of client is rather rare, but it does exist.

I also have seen clients that wanted a past OS X version because they were looking for a specific version of past software like GarageBand, or ancient versions of iWork. Sometimes, older versions offered more features, that were disabled afterwards, but few people know it.

So globally, I would summarize that the average user would prefer the most recent OS, whilst some more expert users may prefer the older system.
My question is what gives the best chance to easily sell old MacBooks : keep them with original OS X version or upgrade them to the latest one?
The fact is that most buyers will be unable to upgrade the system by themselves.

I currently have here a MacBook Pro 15'' mid-2010 running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.1, with SSD inside.
Before selling it on a marketplace, I would tend to upgrade it to High Sierra 10.13.6.
Good or bad idea?

Do some of you have experience with selling old and vintage computers?
Maybe sell it as is but offer to upgrade at an additional cost?

There was a very recent topic about virtually this very thing. The general consensus (which which I agree) is that there is zero sense in even trying to sell hardware this old. It is due for retirement or recycling even if it still functions, because it can't handle current anything very well.

There was a very recent topic about virtually this very thing. The general consensus (which which I agree) is that there is zero sense in even trying to sell hardware this old. It is due for retirement or recycling even if it still functions, because it can't handle current anything very well.
I have a few customers still using XP, believe it or not. The reason they are on older versions is because their favorite software is not forward compatible. Some don't even connect them to the internet. If they need to send a file, they copy to a stick and put it in another PC that they DO connect to the 'net.

I have a few customers still using XP, believe it or not.

Again, I know of these, too. But they are not worth discussing as though they constitute a statistically significant proportion of the user base.

All I'm saying is that if you can't sell something to someone intentionally seeking old hardware, for reasons such as you mention, then there is virtually zero use in trying to "resuscitate" it for use in 2024.

Stuff made in 2010 is simply not suitable for "daily driver" use, as opposed to niche uses like you mention, in 2024. Trying to market it or make it appear as though it's functional now as a daily driver is doing everyone a disservice.

All I'm saying is that if you can't sell something to someone intentionally seeking old hardware, for reasons such as you mention, then there is virtually zero use in trying to "resuscitate" it for use in 2024.
Exactly. And that's why I suggested he sell them as is but offer the o/s upgrade at an additional cost.

A machine that old can't run an up to date enough OS to matter. 10.13.6 is well out of support, so it's usefulness as a general purpose computer in the modern day is out of the question.

There's OCLP (open core legacy patcher) that will allow you to install current macOS on old hardware. Very few if any of us would invest the time to do that for something for resale, it would be very fragile.

I'd suggest loading up with the OS it came with, like the latest 10.8.x or whatever. The computer isn't useful as a modern computer. It might be appealing to someone who wants or needs the nostalgia. If they want to make it modern with OCLP or something less out of date, that's on them.

Exactly. And that's why I suggested he sell them as is but offer the o/s upgrade at an additional cost.

We are in complete agreement then.

If I offended, I apologize, but I am just so used to (and tired of) people trotting out edge cases and playing circular games of "But what if/what about," that I'm almost hair trigger (maybe I am hair trigger) when I get what I believe to be even a whiff of that.

I'm definitely aware of specific, rare situations where the use of antiquated hardware is necessary, and it's primarily where something like Windows XP or 7 was "the terminal version of Windows" with which some command and control software for an insanely expensive piece of manufacturing equipment is involved. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to spend 6 figures plus to replace perfectly serviceable equipment because you can't find a Windows 11 version of the software that controls it. Those are the clients that I advise to constantly be on the lookout for the types of systems they need, and to stockpile a couple of them, preferably after doing the initial setup of the ancient software, so that swapping out, if needed, can be quite swift.

We are in complete agreement then.

If I offended, I apologize, but I am just so used to (and tired of) people trotting out edge cases and playing circular games of "But what if/what about," that I'm almost hair trigger (maybe I am hair trigger) when I get what I believe to be even a whiff of that.

I'm definitely aware of specific, rare situations where the use of antiquated hardware is necessary, and it's primarily where something like Windows XP or 7 was "the terminal version of Windows" with which some command and control software for an insanely expensive piece of manufacturing equipment is involved. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to spend 6 figures plus to replace perfectly serviceable equipment because you can't find a Windows 11 version of the software that controls it. Those are the clients that I advise to constantly be on the lookout for the types of systems they need, and to stockpile a couple of them, preferably after doing the initial setup of the ancient software, so that swapping out, if needed, can be quite swift.
Apology accepted. I wasn't offended but I didn't want a discussion anymore than you did, although it seemed to turn into one and I wasn't even trying to go there. :p

Back