Shared folder access by equipment

HCHTech

Reaction score
I'm tearing my hair out on this problem - so maybe I'm missing something, IDK.

I've got an Optometrist client. He has a retinal camera (TRC-NW400) that is networkable and will save images to a shared folder on the network. I recently overhauled his networking, and cannot get this working again.

Before: 10-yr-old Watchguard with a 9-year expired license, ancient Netgear 10/100 16-port switch, plus 2 or three 4-port switches scattered around the office when computers got moved, Netgear consumer router as a WAP. No server, just a workgroup of 5, Win10-Home consumer computers. The wiring looked like it was done by a 6-year-old.

After: Sonicwall TZ300, Ubiquiti 24-port POE switch, 2 AC-Pro WAPs, all new Cat6 wiring, 4 new Win10Pro workstations, and one remaining win10Home computer to be replaced next year.

The shared folder is unfortunately on the remaining Win10Home computer. The shared folder has 'Everyone' access, and all other computers can see and browse this folder.

Both the camera and the Win10Home computer have static IPs on the same subnet. I can ping the camera successfully, but it doesn't have a web interface.

The setup for the camera allows you to point to the shared folder location (must be by IP, so the entry looks like

\\172.24.111.9\Share

It also allows you to specify the user/password credentials for the share.

It was working before, so after everything else on the network was up and running, I just edited the camera entry to put in the new IP address for the camera and the computer holding the share. Same user/password, same share name. The only change made to the computer holding the share was a different IP address. BTW, both devices are in the LAN zone on the Sonicwall, so there shouldn't be any restrictions on traffic there.

There are no diagnostics on the camera, just a "verify" button which tests the connection. It reports "Connection NG" or "Connection OK". Those are the only two outcomes. Of course, I'm getting NG.

There is a system log, but its entry is not helpful: "Unable to access shared save location".

I have:
  • Disabled the Windows firewall on the shared computer
  • Turned file and printer sharing off and back on on the shared computer
  • Made sure the shared computer is identifying the network as private
  • Confirmed the shared computer has password-protected sharing enabled, but also tried toggling this off, attempting access, then toggling it back on again
  • Confirmed the camera's network wiring is ok by plugging a laptop into that jack
  • Confirmed that this laptop on that same port could access the share
  • Downloaded and read the 80-page manual on the camera in case I was missing some secret reset procedure
  • Watched a 30-minute youtube video from some random guy going through the setup screens of this unit (this was the only place I could find the procedure for getting into the networking setup, btw - the manual just says "call your sales rep" :rolleyes: )
  • Tried plugging the camera directly into the switch
  • Tried unsharing and resharing the folder
  • Created a new user account on the shared computer and given that user full access to the share, then changed the camera setup to use that account
  • Tried creating a NEW shared folder in the Public folders of the shared computer
  • Changing the IP address of the shared computer, and reconfigured the camera to point to the new IP address.
  • Rebooted the camera about a dozen times in all of this
  • Rebooted the rest of the networking equipment at least once
  • Confirmed and reconfirmed that the camera was on the network by pinging it from multiple workstations in addition to the shared workstation at various times throughout this process.
  • I tried unsuccessfully to log the traffic between the two devices in the Sonicwall, but it was at the end of a long day, so I might have just not set this up correctly.
Since this was working before, I don't think the camera is at fault, but I can't really be sure since there is no diagnostic information available. All thoughout this whole process, the other workstations could access the share without incident.

This is the point at which I threw in the towel and said we would have to contact the vendor. The owner wasn't onsite at the time, so I'm waiting on this information to proceed.

Did I miss something? I'm sure I should have played the "vendor" card much earlier in this process, but this client just wrote me a sizable check, so I was sure I could figure it out if I just kept at it. I was wrong....

Is the share name of the folder pretended with a dollar sign? $shareName

From another computer on the network (not the pc being used as the file server) can you enter the folder in windows explorer and successfully connect/view contents?

Spin up wireshark on the shared folder pc rather than using the sonic wall for traffic analysis. If it’s all local and connected to the same switch then the packets would have no reason to go out to sonic wall and you wouldn’t see the traffic. The switch would transport it instead.

If you’ve never used wireshark before it’s really simple. Open it up, select the NIC that’s connect to your LAN, start recording , and then in the display filter box change it so that you’re looking at traffic from the source ip (camera) and destination IP (file server) something like this: “ip.src==<IP OF CAM> && ip.dst==<IP OF SRVR>”

So it would be
ip.src==192.168.1.35 && ip.dst==192.168.1.9

Let us know what you find.

Try re-entering the username for the share using the <computername>\<username> convention.
Try creating a new user account on the computer and using that for the login.
Try creating a share on another computer and using that as the file share. See if it's accessible.

Are you sure the camera is successfully saving the IP address changes?

Are you able to setup a share on the old IP address to test if it works?

Make sure the user account the camera is using isn't locked out as well.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Spin up wireshark on the shared folder pc

I will do this when I go back onsite. The camera only trys to connect when you actually take an image, or manually fire the verify option, so I can't do that remotely. That explains why the firewall monitoring didn't work, of course. duh.

Are you sure the camera is successfully saving the IP address changes?

Well, when you reboot it and go back into the configuration, the new IP information is there, so I think so.

Are you able to setup a share on the old IP address to test if it works?

The old scheme was 192.168.1.x, so I changed that to something more reasonable when I redid the network. It wouldn't be trivial to change it back for testing.

Make sure the user account the camera is using isn't locked out as well.

Nope, it's good. I can log onto the shared computer with that account just fine.

Try re-entering the username for the share using the <computername>\<username> convention.

Yep, tried that. No dice.

Try creating a new user account on the computer and using that for the login.

Yep, tried that too. Didn't help.

Try creating a share on another computer and using that as the file share. See if it's accessible.

I can try this one when I'm back onsite. Frustrating that it worked before, that's why I'm thinking it HAS to be something weird with the camera itself - there is probably some secret voodoo to get it to reset and use a new address. Given their undocumented procedure for even getting to the networking, it wouldn't surprise me.

I would try creating a new (password protected) Windows user account on the PC and explicitly add that account to the to the NTFS and sharing permissions. From the camera, try logging in using the new user account, first with just the user name and password. Failing that, try prefixing the user name with the computer name (eg: computer\user ).

The shared folder is unfortunately on the remaining Win10Home computer. The shared folder has 'Everyone' access, and all other computers can see and browse this folder.

I learned back in the XP days..never..ever...ever....mess with a peer to peer with Windows Homeless edition. If I'm to take over/setup/manage a network, MUST be a Pro version of Windows if it's a workgroup.

You may get it working, but at some point, a windows update or slight change or phase of the moon will cause the network to break when there's a Home version in the mix.

Pro version, you can always roll up your sleeves and set it up the way we did it in the NT 4 Workstation days...local user accounts 'n groups on the NTFS level matching account names of the "server"..with wide open on the share level..and it always works.

So, just to be clear. Between those 2 devices the only thing that has changed is the IP addresses, switch and router? Well, wiring as well but copper is copper.

A side note on accessing it. Some devices have SSH/Telnet enabled so that might be a way to get more information.

So I'd be looking at the switch and router. Basically I'd start with any and all LAN management stuff turned off on both devices. Also I'd try seeing if you can load the share in explorer on one of the other computers.

So, just to be clear. Between those 2 devices the only thing that has changed is the IP addresses, switch and router? Well, wiring as well but copper is copper.
No, there are four new Win10 Pro desktops, now mixed with an original Win 10 Home (the latter is the 'server' :eek: ). Not a robust place to be, imo.

I'm with the others – SMBv1 was dropped from default installs in 1709, but was carried over in installations upgraded from earlier versions. More at Microsoft help, including error messages and troubleshooting/mitigation.

TL;DR: If you need SMB, make everything ≥SMBv2.02.

No, there are four new Win10 Pro desktops, now mixed with an original Win 10 Home (the latter is the 'server' :eek: ). Not a robust place to be, imo.

I'm with the others – SMBv1 was dropped from default installs in 1709, but was carried over in installations upgraded from earlier versions. More at Microsoft help, including error messages and troubleshooting/mitigation.

TL;DR: If you need SMB, make everything ≥SMBv2.02.

My question was not about the entire network. Just between the TRC-NW400 and the share host. That is where the problem is. I do agree that the problem may be an SMB version. But it you can't change the SMB client on the TRC-NW400 it's moot. Remember that the share was working until they changed the copper, IP and network between the two devices.

If it was working before and the file server has remained the same unless an update was done disabling SMB v1 I would still assume the issue is with the camera.

Does it have any types of ports to connect to it?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Back