STATUS_BREAKPOINT when going to Amazon Business.

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
Got a really weird one here. Client called complaining that when browsing Amazon Business he would frequently (>80% of the time) get an aw snap something went wrong while displaying this webpage per the image below:

1717629806600.png

I discovered the issue also re-occurs in Edge

1717629829747.png

Things I tried that didn't resolve the issue:

It's a Surface Pro 7 running Windows 11 Home running fully up to date 23H2 with the cumulative preview 2024-05

Delete history for chrome
Re-do chrome profile
Incognito (no addons)
Fresh Profile
Synced Profile
Uninstall/Reinstall Chrome (With deletion of UserData folder)
Switched Time Zone then switch back
Checked date & time
Changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Other computers on the network access Amazon Business fine
No issues with any other websites (yet)
Chrome is up to date

The issue DOES NOT re-occur when accessing the regular Amazon.com website and browsing items.

The issue ONLY OCCURS when going to Amazon Business and browsing items.

If he refreshes the page several times it will eventually load.

I logged into his Amazon account on my computer and I am unable to reproduce the issue.

Nuke and Pave would be a huge PITA.

The issue does not re-occur with a fresh Windows Profile.

Last edited:
OK, how about Firefox?

A non-Chromium-based browser needs to be part of the diagnostics.

Also, I'd definitely be doing a DISM/SFC run for starters. Potentially following those with a Windows Repair install if they don't do the trick.

I agree that N&P is a last resort.

OK, how about Firefox?

A non-Chromium-based browser needs to be part of the diagnostics.

Also, I'd definitely be doing a DISM/SFC run for starters. Potentially following those with a Windows Repair install if they don't do the trick.

I agree that N&P is a last resort.
Ah smart man!

That's definitely something I should have checked and it did cross my mind but I was getting pretty impatient after being on it for 2.5 hours.

Will report back, thanks for the info!

Did you try a completely different Internet connection i.e., run it through your phones hotspot?

The issue persists while on his home internet.

Then the question is: Does it persist on a different machine that's connected to his home internet?

I truly suspect this is a corruption issue idiosyncratic to the computer he's using, but the steps necessary to isolate that definitively have not all yet been taken (or at least have not yet been mentioned as having been taken).

If he can get to the site via Firefox, and he doesn't care that he has to do so, that's what I'd be doing.

Then the question is: Does it persist on a different machine that's connected to his home internet?

I truly suspect this is a corruption issue idiosyncratic to the computer he's using, but the steps necessary to isolate that definitively have not all yet been taken (or at least have not yet been mentioned as having been taken).

If he can get to the site via Firefox, and he doesn't care that he has to do so, that's what I'd be doing.

I installed Firefox set him homepage to amazon.com and logged in for him so the only extra work he has to do is click a different icon for Amazon.

I asked him to test and report back.

The issue does not persist for any other device on his home or work network. The issue is exclusive to this laptop.

The issue is exclusive to this laptop

Just given what you reported in the message including this as the last sentence, if DISM/SFC don't fix it, and a Windows Repair install doesn't fix it, and uninstalling and reinstalling the offending browsers (preferably uninstalling before the other steps, and reinstalling after) doesn't fix it, you're down to an N&P.

The issue persists while on his home internet.
Who is the provider for each? The same or different? Both Spectrum? Or maybe one AT&T and one Spectrum?

How about going through a TOR or VPN?

I recall having one head scratcher like this in the past, but it only happened on AT&T. Was fine on a different ISP network.

Another thought - have you tried a different NIC? Or in this case disable the on board wireless and use a USB WiFi adapter.

One more thought - can you run from an external booted OS like a WinPE or Linux variant?

Who is the provider for each? The same or different? Both Spectrum? Or maybe one AT&T and one Spectrum?

How about going through a TOR or VPN?

I recall having one head scratcher like this in the past, but it only happened on AT&T. Was fine on a different ISP network.

Another thought - have you tried a different NIC? Or in this case disable the on board wireless and use a USB WiFi adapter.

One more thought - can you run from an external booted OS like a WinPE or Linux variant?

All of those sound like really good troubleshooting steps, however the issue does not persist through a new user profile so it is very clearly a software problem.

By the way, is this machine configured to use the modern Windows Backup protocol? Particularly if OneDrive/M365 are in use.

In Settings, Accounts, Windows backup if "the usual libraries" are being synced to OneDrive and the toggles for "Remember my apps" and "Remember my preference" are both ON, it is astounding how painless coming back from an N&P is in practice these days.

I just did an N&P on my downstairs tower, and when it was coming back up one of the steps, after I'd entered my Microsoft Account, was asking me if I wanted to recover from one of the devices I had backed up. I had it backed up using the above technique, and chose that device name.

Lo and Behold, everything came back! OneDrive, M365, everything. I had not installed much third-party software on that machine, so I don't know how well it would have turned out if lots of that was involved, but my jaw dropped when I looked at the desktop and realized that it was exactly as I'd left things. And whatever it was that was corrupted did not come back with it, so that is not a part of what was backed up. I wouldn't expect that Windows itself is a part of this new style backup protocol, only stuff added to it and settings tweaks.

Back