Tiny connector jumped out and attacked me

sorcerer

Reaction score
Needed to get the motherboard out to replace the DC jack.

All went well until this little *^%£*&^ came apart. I don't even know if it's a flip-up type or a pull-out type so I'm not sure how to go about sorting it out.

Looking at the connector I can see two rows of four pins and it looks like (or I think it looks like) the top row of pins are just blanks that go nowhere. It appears that the ribbon cable locates between the two rows and the white 'top' somehow closes and presses down on the ribbon, so that the ribbon contacts make contact with the pins are are held in place.

So, does anyone know if that's correct? Does the ribbon make contact with the bottom pins or top pins? Any brilliant ideas to get the white 'cap' back in place?

This is an Asus UX560U and to be honest, I don't even know what the ribbon cable is for.

ribbon.jpg

That's a flip up if I'm not mistaken, you elevate the left side. Which is counter intuitive since we're used to lifting the side where the cable gets inserted/removed. Best I can tell you have it oriented properly, it appears that the two hinge pins, right side up and down aren't damaged. So maybe you can, very carefully, get it back in. The metal pieces on the white piece are slightly curved to force contact with the lower pins. I think Apple has some like that on their MB Air.

That's a flip up if I'm not mistaken, you elevate the left side. Which is counter intuitive since we're used to lifting the side where the cable gets inserted/removed. Best I can tell you have it oriented properly, it appears that the two hinge pins, right side up and down aren't damaged. So maybe you can, very carefully, get it back in. The metal pieces on the white piece are slightly curved to force contact with the lower pins. I think Apple has some like that on their MB Air.
Brilliant, thanks Mark, I'll have a go at that.

Now I'll be the contrarian, having had to deal with this sort of thing recently.

Without seeing the end of that white bit, I can't be absolutely certain whether it's a push type or not, but I suspect it is. And it looks like it used to push on to the 4-pin almost directly below your finger in the picture.

You'd be far better off if it were a flip-up type, but I don't think it is.

I looked at several charge port repair videos and in a couple of them you could just make out the connector in question.

In those few videos, I could see that the white piece was flipped up. Not 100% sure, but around 90% sure it's a flip-up connector.

In a pinch (and I mean a real pinch) on cheapy laptops we have successfully hot glued the cable into the connector by putting a small dab of hot glue on the cable and connector. Be sure that the cable is ALL the way into the connector before the glue. With hot glue you can remove if if need be to disconnect it later. Not the best but better than a new MB.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm sorry about the poor quality of the photos but these are the best I could get close up:

ribboncz.jpg

ribboncz2.jpg

I did think about trying to solder some jumper wire onto the end of the ribbon cable and then solder the other end directly onto the rear of the socket or the motherboard, but I like the idea of the hot melt glue better. Hopefully though, these latest photos will help you decide if it's a push or flip type connector.

Thanks again for the help.

Still looks like a flip to me. The question is orientation. The first pic the white piece appeared to have notches where the 4 holes are. Does it? Since this will be flush see if there is any kind of outline on the white piece to help you with orientation. Is the white piece solid other than those 4 small slots? Does the ribbon cable that plugs into it just the cable? In other words there's not a flat plastic re-enforcing piece at the end as well.

It's a flip. Put the two SMALL tabs into the notches are and then a gentle push.

That's what I was thinking, too, if it were a flip (and I'm not arguing that it's not here). Looking at the cable it apparently secures its almost certainly a flip after having thought about it, and the "grip" the connector on the mobo has on that "flip part" is somewhat tenuous at best. It doesn't take much for it to pop out, and it can be popped back in.

Thanks for all your help guys, but it was eventually taken out of my hands.

Here in the UK we call these things 'Pingf**kits' and that's pretty much what happened. I had it in a pair of tweezers and it just went ping, flying off somewhere, never to be seen again, at which point I said, "F*** it" and decided to go with the hot melt glue.

It seems to have worked so thanks again folks, much appreciated.

Thanks for all your help guys, but it was eventually taken out of my hands.

Here in the UK we call these things 'Pingf**kits' and that's pretty much what happened. I had it in a pair of tweezers and it just went ping, flying off somewhere, never to be seen again, at which point I said, "F*** it" and decided to go with the hot melt glue.

It seems to have worked so thanks again folks, much appreciated.
They do sprout wings occasionally. :p

If/when it comes time to remove the connector, Isopropyl Alcohol 99% soaked into the hot glue will break the surface tension/bonding and the glue will become brittle and come off easy. If you don't do that, hot glue is strong enough to rip pads off a board.

If/when it comes time to remove the connector, Isopropyl Alcohol 99% soaked into the hot glue will break the surface tension/bonding and the glue will become brittle and come off easy.

Thanks very much for this tip. I doubt I'll be using it in the context of computers, but there are other situations.

By the way, where do you source 99% isopropyl?

I used to get it from the local pharmacy, they don't keep 99% on the shelves due to drug trade, apparently when it was easy to get on shelf it would be wiped clean in no time. My current bottle is nearly used up, so I will need another. My last bottle was around $4-5 Canadian. I'm fully expecting it to be $10 now. I see it on Amazon, but it's like $100 for a small box of 10 bottles. A bit rich for me. If I were doing more work I'd consider it, but it took me over a year to use this bottle, so I think one at a time is plenty.

I also should give credit where it's due, that tip about hot glue I got from Voultar, a YouTuber who does retro game mods.

True it will melt it, but you risk it getting all over the place. Trust me, Isopropyl Alcohol does wonders. Try putting some hot glue on a dead board, say on an Intel CPU socket. Isopropyl Alcohol will get it completely off. It actually breaks the bond and makes it brittle, so it won't stay attached. After an application or two, you can almost brush it off.

By the way, where do you source 99% isopropyl?
They stopped carrying it retail around me, as far as I know. The last time I needed some, I ordered it from Amazon. Don't mistake the hi-test stuff for 70% though if you are using it as a sanitizer. It will whisk those service tags right off the label - haha.

Back