[SOLVED] Toshiba Laptop Keyboard & Touchpad not working

drjones

Reaction score
Have a laptop,
Toshiba E55T - A5320, Windows 8.1 x64; neither the keyboard nor touchpad work. The problem started suddenly; no changes had been made to the system.

In the device manager,
PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102 Key)
ELAN PS/2 SMBus Port Input Device

both show exclamation marks next to them. I've uninstalled them both multiple times, rebooted, no luck.

I did a system restore to just before it began happening and that fixed it temporarily; the issue came back after another reboot or two.

I've downloaded & installed drivers from Toshiba's site for the ELAN Touchpad and "Function Key", installed those, and again it did not help. Also removed the battery and power cord, let it sit for 30 minutes, still the keyboard & mouse aren't working.

I have no idea what else to do...please help!

Thanks!

I did a system restore to just before it began happening and that fixed it temporarily; the issue came back after another reboot or two.

If you can, run a battery of virus cleaning tools. I've seen this before with machines losing keyboard and or mouse.

Typically a bad keyboard, stuck key has been what I've found. Disconnect the keyboard and see if the mouse returns ;)

I just saw this video the other day maybe it will help ... I don't think it is the same model # but it is a Toshiba.

That fixed it!!!!!!!!! Still have to play with it for a while to ensure the fix sticks, but immediately upon reboot, the touchpad & keyboard worked!!!
Thank you!

How the HECK do people figure out fixes like that?

Back