Upgraded CPU and pc won't boot

JoeTech

Reaction score
I had a customer try to upgrade his CPU from a I3-6320 to an I7-7700. In the process of doing that he bent a lot of pins in the socket of the motherboard. It would turn on for about 30 seconds then turn off without any video. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA H110M-S2H-GSM rev 1. It says on the website that the I7 7700 is a compatible CPU.

We ordered the same motherboard brand new from Newegg and I put the old I3 CPU back in and updated the bios to the latest version f25 and everything was working fine. I was able to login to his profile and had no problems.

I took out the old I3 and put back in the I7 and now it is back to doing the same thing. Turns on for about 30 seconds with no video and then shuts off. I took out the I7 and put the I3 back in and now that is not working either.

I took out the cmos battery to try and clear the bios settings but that didn't help. I looked at the I7 and it doesn't look damaged or bent. Is it possible that the CPU got damaged as well and it's better to get both a new motherboard and CPU instead? I don't want to just get another motherboard and then put in the I7 again and ruin that board as well.

Bending pins can cause an internal short on any number of layers. Those areas of a motherboard aren't protected well and don't take kindly to shorts. (Sorry not more helpful.)

Have to agree on this ^^. I did the same thing in the early days with an AMD Duron chip. Totally my fault in bending the pins and I thought "just straighten them" and we should be good to go!
But, no! It shorted out the Mobo (a nice DFI) and killed the CPU as well. :mad:

These reasons are why I don't upgrade CPU's any more. The risk can outweigh the rewards. I stick with SSD's and Ram and Videocards. :rolleyes:

That is why I posted this in another thread.
As for gaming, The real PC gamers build thier own systems and only call when the system fails and they cant "diagnose" it and expect us to have all the spare parts on hand to swap out components to figure out what is wrong so they can fix it themselves.

I would rather have an SSD and ram upgrade over a cpu anyway.

These reasons are why I don't upgrade CPU's any more. The risk can outweigh the rewards. I stick with SSD's and Ram and Videocards. :rolleyes:

That is why I posted this in another thread.

I would rather have an SSD and ram upgrade over a cpu anyway.
Upgrading the CPU gives a small performance increase but is still limited by the system bus and other components - especially the HDD.
Look what happens when you build a new system and the client wants to cheap out and keep the old HDD!
It will run like a 2 legged dog!
Upgrade the HDD to SSD and add more ram gives a huge increase even on those el cheapo Pentium/Celeron N20xx, N30xx things.

So it sounds like this is what happened:

Original motherboard got damaged when the i7 install caused some bent pins. When posting, the board and the i7 got damaged.

New board installed, original i3 installed... everything works great. Then the damaged i7 was installed and damaged the new board. Then the i3 was put into the new (and now damaged) board and damaged the i3 as well.

From what it looks to me, you have two damaged motherboards and two damaged CPU's. Doesn't seem to be any real way to test them without risking damaging more components. I'd cut my losses here.

I had a customer try to upgrade his CPU from a I3-6320 to an I7-7700.
So correct me here. Did YOU have the customer do it, or did you HAVE a customer do it before contacting you? If the former, then thats your fault for not educating the client or asking simple questions. If the later, then it's not your fault but I will ask, how in the heck did he/she bend so many pins on an Intel? They are easier than an AMD.

I was wondering the same thing. The chips don't have "pins" any more and AFAIK you basically can't put the CPU in wrong unless your not paying attention at all. I think what really probably happened is they dropped the i7 and it hit the socket, or dropped something that hit the socket. Seems more likely than an incorrectly seated i7, but I guess it is a possibility?

I think he means the pins on the mobo socket, I have tried to straighten them to no avail. I used an empty slim pen tip and a microscope.

The customer called and wanted us to order the correct I7 CPU for him, but he wanted to install it himself to avoid the labor charges. The actual pc was never brought in until after he put in the cpu himself and it would no longer turn on. The cpu itself looked fine, but a lot of pins in the socket of the motherboard were trashed.

I don't know what he did to ruin the first motherboard, but he agreed that he probably screwed it up and is willing to pay for a new motherboard and CPU and have us do it for him this time.

Are you charging him for all the labor to date of messing around with the setup to diagnose the issue? If not you lost any profit you made on selling the CPU.
Also what about the cost of the now damaged board you ordered to test, who is paying for that?

This is why doing this kind up upgrade makes no sense. If the customer wants a CPU upgrade they can research it and order it on their own. Don't get involved in this kind of work.

Back