whea uncorrectable

Big Jim

Reaction score
A lenovo all in one
i5 8th gen
8gb Ram
brand new samsung 870 Evo SSD
clean install of Windows 11

System appears to operate perfectly fine, until it is left alone and then it will randomly crash with whea uncorrectable error but won't write to the log and sits at 0%. we thought initially it was sleep related as it happened when waking from sleep.
We have played around with most of the sleep related settings in windows but didn't change anything.
I turned off the screensaver and we had a full 24 hours without a crash, then it randomly started doing it again.

It has passed an overnight memtest ~20 passes.

Last edited:
Lots of possible causes, according to Perplexity. I'd try re-seating the RAM, booting from a known-good SSD with Windows preinstalled, and using a different charger to see if it still barfs. If so, it's probably a motherboard or cable issue.

If it acts like a RAM fault, but the RAM tests good...

SSD be the issue! They fail like RAM but we don't have a RAM test to run against them!

now tried it with a replacement SATA drive (new) and it did the same.
currently trying it with an NVME drive but up to now it has randomly crashed and rebooted twice.

I'm leaning towards motherboard fault because of the fact it has no issues whilst actually in use (customer has reported 2/3 hours usage without issue)

Never heard of occt.
We have ran prime to test cpu and it was fine.

Now tested with:
a different sata drive
An nvme drive
Different ram
Various different c states disabled in bios
Clean install of w1
Clean install of w10

All of them now crash (black screen) and reboot when left alone for a random amount of time. It does not crash whilst in use.
If we completely disable standby and hibernate and just set the screen to turn off it doesn't crash. It will also manually sleep and wake without issue.

That's a BIOS issue, and not all older machines can handle modern shutdown and power saving features. And if the unit is younger, it may need the appropriate system software updated too! Sadly, if the manufacturer doesn't have anything recent... the unit is not really serviceable.

So, left it on all weekend, came in this morning and the screen woke up normally, then checked on it 10 minutes ago and it had crashed again.
so disabling sleep hasn't cured the issue at all.

it originally came in with a non booting HDD which we agreed with the customer to upgrade to SSD, they report that it had never done this before, but I suspect this happened for the first time and corrupted the boot sector of the HDD.

Back