Win11 Snipping Tool..yuck

YeOldeStonecat

Reaction score
So at least daily...I'm using the snipping tool. Sometimes I need to span my multiple monitors, and..the Win11 version cannot. It's a hard stop. It won't extend a leg across to the neighboring monitor. Win10 snipping tool had no problems doing this.

Print Screen alone isn't what I want, I prefer to lasso around what I want, and it immediately goes into a very basic editor window that allows me to highlight with the marker...before pasting into a document or email.

Who has what for suggestions if they've felt this pain too?

So at least daily...I'm using the snipping tool. Sometimes I need to span my multiple monitors, and..the Win11 version cannot. It's a hard stop. It won't extend a leg across to the neighboring monitor. Win10 snipping tool had no problems doing this.

Print Screen alone isn't what I want, I prefer to lasso around what I want, and it immediately goes into a very basic editor window that allows me to highlight with the marker...before pasting into a document or email.

Who has what for suggestions if they've felt this pain too?
I used to use an editor called photo stitch or something like that. I could take 2 or more photos and the editor would stitch them together for one big picture. I haven't used it in over 10 years and I can't recall the exact name but maybe a search would bring something up that would help you do that.

Check the scaling, resolution and check which monitor is primary:

Potential cause/change:
In the new update for Windows 11, Snipping tool is Upgraded for Recording the screen but the screen clipping doesn't work for multiple monitors.

I recently discovered that you can do screen recording with the Win11 snip tool, so that's at least occasionally useful...

I have a 3-monitor setup on my main box, a 27" and 2 x 24". I have the same resolution and scaling set on all 3 monitors, but the snipping tool will not cross monitor boundaries. Doing the repair and reset of the app suggested by that Brian's link didn't help. I don't remember ever wanting to do this particular thing, so it's not worth investigating further...for me at least.

According to other material I didn't bother to quote this is a "known issue" for which a fix is supposed to roll out from Microsoft.

I don't use multiple monitors so couldn't test if/when the fix occurs even if I wanted to.

Check the scaling, resolution and check which monitor is primary:

Potential cause/change:
In the new update for Windows 11, Snipping tool is Upgraded for Recording the screen but the screen clipping doesn't work for multiple monitors.

Yeah that recent update...I had read that. Thought I read that they "might" fix that in yet another update....not sure.
But when I read that, checked my settings, all 4 monitors are the same make/model, all 4 are the same 100% scale (recommended) and the same 1920x1029 (recommended). Bottom left is my primary.

I can confirm it doesn't work for me, either. Triple monitors - One ultrawide 3440x1440 and two flanking 2560x1440 on either side.

It did used to work, but I must admit I usually do my screen clipping on a single monitor so I hadn't noticed this. But alas!

There were some reports of people doing a literal replacement of the snipping tool's EXE with the Win10 version to fix this.. but I'm not sure I'd recommend that.

I used to use Greenshot, now I use ShareX.

Beware, it's a BEAST, but darn if it doesn't work! The hardest part is getting Windows 11 to let go of the print screen button!

Back