Deep Freeze type program?

ComputerDave

Reaction score
Do any of you remember a program called Deep Freeze? When you restart your Windows-based machine, the operating system will revert to the way it was before. I used this for a customer who had a child with special needs who "loved" to tinker under the hood. Occasionally the child would (unintentionally) cause quite a bit of damage to the OS. Instead of the parents bringing it in for repair, they'd just restart the machine. (This was years ago, before Chromebooks and tablets). Fast forward, we're donating a few workstations to a new women's shelter (where these workstations) are intended to be used by the residents. I thought a program like this might prove useful. The last time I looked into this (and it's been years), the only options like this were pretty pricy. Just thought I would ask. As always, I am thankful for your valuable input.

Note: As far as I know, these machines would just be used for web-based purposes. Nevertheless, the administrator specifically asked for Win 11 OS.

Note: As far as I know, these machines would just be used for web-based purposes. Nevertheless, the administrator specifically asked for Win 11 OS.
Need more specifics about the use scenario but kiosk mode might be the nickel solution to the dime problem.

You could also set it up to autologin to the guest account.

I remember a program called Shadow Defender. Used to be great for that purpose, don't know how it is nowadays.

This looks promising. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I put this on a couple of library public usage computers and it's been pretty solid. Only thing that's kind of a pain is dealing with future windows updates. Good for me I guess more revenue lol. So usually like twice a year I remote in and do all the updates and all that crap for it.

Have used Deep Freeze way in the past, as well as another similar product or two...right now "Fortress" is one that sorta comes to mind.

We had a womens shelter client for a long time and they had a bunch of computers for their tenants....in the "internet room". We just had "Kiosk mode" running...Win7 'n 10 (back then).

I think Deep Freeze had a non profit offering, if not direct, perhaps through TechSoup.
I have not used RRRx. I see it is free, but I see they also have a paid version, perhaps they offer non profit discounts also. I tend to shy away from "free stuff"..due to lack of support (the research and support falls on YOU). Prefer to have paid software with good support...to minimize your time spent dealing with stuff.

Prefer to have paid software with good support...to minimize your time spent dealing with stuff.
Emphasis mine in the quotation.

The following is not meant to be snark aimed at Brian, but my personal experience over the decades is that the "with good support" part is a relatively rare commodity. And, for that reason alone, where legal I've often turned to using free versions of things I know well. I've spent way more time fighting with paid support than should ever have been the case, and to this day I dread most times where they need to be called in.

My general experience is that technical support is neither. That's something I have always intentionally tried to make untrue about myself and my own services.

E but my personal experience over the decades is that the "with good support" part is a relatively rare commodity.

We can agree there.
Which is why, especially with an important product/service, we consider options thoroughly...and strong support is important to us. Prime example...backup/disaster recovery. For IT/MSPs that cater to businesses, restoring a server swiftly..full image...is critically important. Or if the hardware is shot..standing up the virtualized instances in the appliance. Datto has a...best of the best of the best service here, Datto Alto and the big brother...Datto Siris. If a server caught fire, I needed its services back up and avail to the client right away...and with a Datto Siris..that could be in under 15 minutes. Dattos support was...top notch!
...but then...Kaseya bought them out....

Similar with the firewalls we used to sell, Untangle..their support was great. There are a few other software vendors that come to mind...but yes..support service is...very important. And lack of...stinks!

If the computer guy bills by the house, slow/poor support can be of benefit to them...stacks up the bill.
But for the MSP model, where we support our clients that are on fixed monthly support plans...speed and efficiency of getting issues solved is paramount! The less hours your spend on each client...ratio to the set amount of money you receive from them each month...the more profitable that client is. The more hours you spend on each client per month...that same monthly $ amount...equals a less profitable client.

We can agree there.
Which is why, especially with an important product/service, we consider options thoroughly...and strong support is important to us. Prime example...backup/disaster recovery. For IT/MSPs that cater to businesses, restoring a server swiftly..full image...is critically important. Or if the hardware is shot..standing up the virtualized instances in the appliance. Datto has a...best of the best of the best service here, Datto Alto and the big brother...Datto Siris. If a server caught fire, I needed its services back up and avail to the client right away...and with a Datto Siris..that could be in under 15 minutes. Dattos support was...top notch!
...but then...Kaseya bought them out....

Similar with the firewalls we used to sell, Untangle..their support was great. There are a few other software vendors that come to mind...but yes..support service is...very important. And lack of...stinks!

If the computer guy bills by the house, slow/poor support can be of benefit to them...stacks up the bill.
But for the MSP model, where we support our clients that are on fixed monthly support plans...speed and efficiency of getting issues solved is paramount! The less hours your spend on each client...ratio to the set amount of money you receive from them each month...the more profitable that client is. The more hours you spend on each client per month...that same monthly $ amount...equals a less profitable client.
Who'd you move to for Datto replacement?

Who'd you move to for Datto replacement?
I'm actually enjoying moving clients away from on prem servers, into all 365...which is fairly easy these days as their line of business apps are also widely offering hosted SaaS versions. So...while we used to have well over a hundred Datto devices out there...we're down to...probably under 40, 30...maybe less now.

If I had to maintain this type of service, I'd go with Axcient. They're based in Colorado.

One of my colleagues had started using Veeam...there's another option.

I have no idea why it's only available in Enterprise versions of Windows, but UWF works amazingly well and is easy to deploy.

For what it's worth, I installed the free version of Reboot Restore RX for this non-profit and have been very pleased with it so far. We'll let it ride for a few months, and I'll report back on its status. As always, I appreciate everyone's valuable input. That's what makes this community so vital.

For what it's worth, I installed the free version of Reboot Restore RX for this non-profit and have been very pleased with it so far. We'll let it ride for a few months, and I'll report back on its status. As always, I appreciate everyone's valuable input. That's what makes this community so vital.
If they are a legal 503c3 then they should be eligible for most any products at a price that pennies on the dollar, more or less, at Techsoup or directly through the OEM such as Faronics (DeepFreeze).

Back