I'm designing my own website system using xml

InHomeComputerHelp.com

Reaction score
Most of you probably think I'm nuts for doing this, but I'd rather code by hand. Putting all my webpages in an xml then writing the pages using php makes it easier to manage. I use a paid social media service to send my pages via rss, which will be the same xml file, to various social media. The more I play with it. The more I like it.

But flame on I know some of you think I'm nuts for doing it this way.

Rick

Okay,
I've got the second column going to the bottom in mobile view
My header image looks better than the way Wordpress did it for my client
I have every meta tag in the world lol including the ones that will give me a graphic and url on Twitter
Social media buttons from addtoany and a javascript I wrote to copy to the clipboard the title description and URL for additional sharing
A search engine coded to search Google but my site and client's site only thus helping with SEO
Comment tags telling me what to keep for the website
Comment tags I use in coding to add automated content from a news aggregator program I wrote
My ADHD brain is getting the dopamine it craves by working on this
This color match challenged boy actually has some decent colors I mean just blue and white but that's big for me. I don't do pretty very well.
Using primarily an external CSS file though I did need some inline for the div for my header. Even if I have to change the inline CSS it will be all in one XML file so search and replace yay.
Grav is going away in the next two or three days to be replaced by my XML system

Okay done geeking out. Thanks folks. This is the only place I can do that.

Rick

More cool stuff. If I want the site to look consistent, I just use my external css file, BUT, if I have a specialty web page, I can use on-page CSS which overrides external css. For example I belong to a multi-tier healthy coffee affiliate program. Since it's multi-tier I did a webpage on how to sign up and made everything a coffee color. It still goes in the same xml file and still gets promoted to social media through a service I use.. I'm telling you guys I'm on to something here or the ADHD is happy with its dopamine one or the other.

Okay done. Thanks for listening (reading).

Rick

Most of you probably think I'm nuts for doing this, but I'd rather code by hand. Putting all my webpages in an xml then writing the pages using php makes it easier to manage. I use a paid social media service to send my pages via rss, which will be the same xml file, to various social media. The more I play with it. The more I like it.

But flame on I know some of you think I'm nuts for doing it this way.

Rick
Sounds like a very useful setup that you've made it :)

@InHomeComputerHelp.com Put that down! Go get Hugo, and enjoy.

What you've done is write a templating engine that runs in PHP using XML documents as a framework.

Hugo is a GOLang executable that converts markdown templates into HTML you can just slap into the Internet wherever you want. Templates are as complex or simple as you make them. Leave the PHP behind, unless you actually need something server side.

@Sky-Knight Does Hugo work well with Dynamics? I might have a play around with this since you mention it a lot.
I'm not sure what Dynamics has to do with this? I'm not very familiar with that section of Microsoft's product offerings or even if that's what you're referring to.

What Hugo does is let you create markdown templates that ultimately become static HTML pages. It includes a local web server to test with on live edits, so all you need to make it "work" is a copy of vscode (or your fav text editor), and the latest Hugo EXE. I highly encourage anyone that wants to build their own website to explore it, doubly so for anyone that wants to code it themselves. It's a framework that takes a bit of time to sort out, but once you have it down it becomes an effective CMS, organizing your content, and enabling the author to reskin the entire site in moments.

Basically, it's all the advantages of Wordpress, with the only disadvantage being it outputs static code meant to be operated in the browser only and published via a straight up http/https server with no server side anything. This type of hosting is stupid fast, easily cached, and bonkers cheap... heck my website runs out of a free Github repo, which is targetted by a free cloudflare pages page, gets built automatically once a day, and to make changes I just checkin a new front matter page when I'm done with it.

Let the above sink in...

My website, runs NATIVELY in CLOUDFLARE'S CDN! I swear I have the fastest hack proof site that ever existed for any MSP anywhere because of the above, and it costs me $0 to operate. Now I don't need it much these days since my MSP is spooling down, but I keep thinking about it because I can easily convert it into a professional blog and start putting my Azure / M365 experience online as training material. I haven't gotten there yet, but when I decide to do that... it's right there.

Anyway, Hugo's output being nothing but CSS / HTML / TypeScript, or even just HTML alone... it'll integrate and be workable anywhere. I could makea Hugo template that would create static content ot be used as a captive portal that can be stuffed into an Aruba / Unifi controller if I wanted... it can do ANYTHING. The limit is how much time will you put into it to script everything because you are HAND CODING the website. But you're doing it in a way that lets you maintain the site's content in a superior way than any home coding will ever grant you... that is unless you made your own complete templating engine in which case you've reinvented Hugo. So why not Hugo at first?

Dynamics I mean other devices, mobile etc "Responsive web design".
Responsive Web Design is a buzz word for a horde of different technologies. But all of them boil down to CSS / Javascript|TypeScrpt frameworks, all of which can be integrated into a Hugo template structure. You can purchase Themes that are responsive, and there are many that are free on : https://themes.gohugo.io/ if you need working examples, it's easy to grab one and experiment.

@InHomeComputerHelp.com Put that down! Go get Hugo, and enjoy.

What you've done is write a templating engine that runs in PHP using XML documents as a framework.

Hugo is a GOLang executable that converts markdown templates into HTML you can just slap into the Internet wherever you want. Templates are as complex or simple as you make them. Leave the PHP behind, unless you actually need something server side.

This could come in handy when I start converting my HTMLly sites to pure HTML. Thank you, but I don't know. Sounds like I might have to undo someone else's work to do what I want to do. Just guessing, but I am going to check it out thank you.

Rick

Responsive Web Design is a buzz word for a horde of different technologies. But all of them boil down to CSS / Javascript|TypeScrpt frameworks, all of which can be integrated into a Hugo template structure. You can purchase Themes that are responsive, and there are many that are free on : https://themes.gohugo.io/ if you need working examples, it's easy to grab one and experiment.
So far I'm happy playing with my own CSS, JS and PHP.

Thank you,
Rick

I understand it is a buzz word though you then understood what I was on about.

Back