Old Mac Laptop w/ infection?

Blues

Reaction score
Have a client with a Mac laptop he is getting a notice about a renewing of McAfee which is not installed nor has it ever been and the notice seems to link to a fake McAfee renewal. The laptop is running BitDefender which finds nothing n the system I cleared all notices and cleared out anything I could find but I am fuzzy on Mac so does anyone have any tools they recommend or know how to run something at boot to check the system.

After that, take a peek at the browsers themselves because often it's just a home page or search provider that's been snagged, and those settings are the same on Apple as they are on Windows.

Sounds like it may be a browser notification, not necessarily any executable that is running.

By the way, what version of macOS is it running? What is the machine's vintage (go to Apple menu, About this Mac...).

Fake security warning or not, if it's not running a currently supported OS he may have security exposure.

I agree it seems like a browser notice I reset and cleared all cache it went away for a day or 2. I haven't been back out to the system to get more details and I don't recall the OS version but IIRC it is an Intel Mac.

Remember BHO's back in the day? That's pretty much what it is. Customer clicks on some link and it loads a plugin that's published by a "legit" company so passes security tests like something like CleanMyMac.

Back