10 Door-to-Door sales tips.

RyansPCRepairs

Reaction score
EDIT: I think I've miscommunicated what this thread is about. The goal of this is not to make sales at doors, or to try to sell something upfront, but to make a quick contact with your neighbors (I do this locally only) and leave them with something (a flyer) with info on how to contact you. The longest interaction I've had was 30 seconds. Most of the time I'm gone in 10.

The title should be: Introducing yourself Door-to-door.

Hi guys. I've just got back from handing out at least 100 fliers to people door to door.

Door-to-door is a great way to do local advertising for an offline business. If you have flyers you are one step ahead of your competitors. I've had people today compliment me on the fact that I have nice looking, professional flyers, and have something to leave them that they just might want to keep around.

Here's some things I've learned while going door to door that might help you

1. Know your value. This is your business, when you approach someone at their door, you have to respect that its their property, but you also have to know that you are valuable to your customers. Your service will benefit them. This means your time is valuable, and you arent there to chat for a long time. Be direct and short. Don't apologize for coming up to their door, but don't intrude on their day or their environment.

2. Be friendly and be a real person. Go up with the intent to introduce yourself with business-to-client relationship-potential. For example I say something along the lines of "Hey, whats up. I'm ryan, I fix computers, remove spyware, viruses, and that sort. I also build computers and do websites. Let me know if you need me." I initiate the conversation and I also leave the conversation. People have things to do and they respect when you can show them that you understand that.

3. Expect some people to be offputting. Today some guy came up to me while I was at someone elses door, and approached me "Hey! is this yours? You left this at my door. I get tons of people dropping sh*t off at my door every day. I don't want soliciters." If he was respectful with me I would have apologized and moved on, but he was using me for a target for an emotional outburst. Really, you can't let it get to you, but also, you have to respect these guys' property. If you see a "no soliciters" mat, sign, or post at their door, then don't solicit. Move on.

4. Bring water and some energy. Pretty simple, but stay hydrated. You want to keep your mouth wet and feeling good. Bring some bottles of water. I leave some in my car and grab a drink every time I move locations. For an energy drink, I recommend a tea called Yerba Mate which is organic and full of antioxidants. It contains a natural form of caffeine that doesn't cause jitters and gives you a clean, steady boost of energy. Avoid red bull or any other drinks with high fructose corn syrup and loads of caffeine.

5. Talk to people you see working in front of their house, or getting out of their cars. These are perfect opportunities to just say hi quickly, throw out a contact, and be friendly. You'll experience many dry spells of unanswered doors and you'll start appreciating these people because they're definite recipients.

6. In the short time you're face-to-face, tell them your most valuable thing about your business. This is something that Jay Abraham mentions in his products.The idea, service, or distinction that separates you from the competitors is the most important thing that you can mention to people, ANY time you're talking about your business. What makes your business unique? Is it the price, is it the service, is it some special thing you offer to clients? Let them know. For me, I have a good catch phrase at the top of my flyer which compares me to Geeskquad, and I sometimes like to throw out a little "I'm cheaper than Geeksquad.". People understand Geeksquad thanks to Best Buy, so it's something that people can recognize.

7. Relax and be humorous with people. Remember you're just there to introduce yourself as a local neighbor who has a little business. These people could potentially be clients and or friends. Going door-to-door is fun you get to meet a lot of people. I love the little fun interactions. Don't be a serious-business-only type of face.

8. Bring your toolkit in your car. Bring a laptop with wifi and your usb sticks. In your little 10 second interactions, some people will mention "Oh, I got a computer thats X." In that case its a good opportunity to say something like, "Alright, well if you need me, you can call me today and I'll have it fixed within 24 hours to have it back to you." In that case if they leave you with a computer on the spot, you have some tools and supplies (and hopefully a car sticker!) so you look reputable and safe. This is just an idea, but I'm going to try this. I haven't gotten anybody wanting instantaneous service as of yet.

10. Keep your eyes and ears and senses open. You're going door to door. It's not dangerous because you aren't entering peoples houses, but just be careful. There's all kinds of people out there, good and bad, so just have sound judgement about what seems safe and what doesn't.

I've re-written this guide because my original post was poorly communicated. I was in sort of a egoistic-high trance and totally altered the intent or the message of the post, and started writing about 'sales'. I feel I was communicating that you're intruding on people and that was okay as long as it was for your business. That's not right, and I want to clear that up. You're just meeting locals and letting them know who you are. You have no intent to sell services on the spot.

Here's a sample of my flyer. It's professional, admirable, and catchy (I can say this because I didn't design it). Also on the back, I have a list of 'Tell-tale signs that you have Spyware.' You can get great flyers from clubflyers.com.

flyer.jpg

-Ryan

Last edited:
sales

I applaud your ambition and will even concede that some people may appreciate the information and/or the opportunity to talk to someone. But probably for the majority and certainly for some, it is a nuisance, and for some like myself it is a completely unacceptable intrusion. Not only does it add to the general clamor of the world; it lowers the perception of the profession. Surely you can find less obnoxious ways to promote your business.

Gotta side with Styxbound. I have actually gotten to the point in life where I will close the door in the face of a door-to-door solicitor.

Ryan, I've got to ask - your post to the thread was very poorly written (lack of capitals, punctuation; even your logo lacks an apostrophe). Was the flyer similar?
Oh, and clicking on the link to your site gives a db error.

I have considered doing this in sections of my city but I have not. I have never liked going door to door selling stuff even from the days when I was in elemntery school selling that Worlds Finest Chocolate, for I new the majority of people hated door to door salesmen ( I think I learned that from my mom.) Personally I dis-like door knockers, and I could not bring myself to be a door knocker when I know how many people do not like being bothered.

Ryan, how many people showed positive interest compared to the people who you could tell just did not care?

Unsolicited advertisement is a sure way to lose my business. I absolutely refuse to give my money to anyone who is willing to intrude on my personal life to make a quick buck. With that said, I don't have any intention of doing it myself.

Gotta side with Styxbound. I have actually gotten to the point in life where I will close the door in the face of a door-to-door solicitor.

Ryan, I've got to ask - your post to the thread was very poorly written (lack of capitals, punctuation; even your logo lacks an apostrophe). Was the flyer similar?
Oh, and clicking on the link to your site gives a db error.

I don't know why I wrote in that format. Updated with proper punctuation and grammar. Also my website db was down and now its back up.

I have considered doing this in sections of my city but I have not. I have never liked going door to door selling stuff even from the days when I was in elemntery school selling that Worlds Finest Chocolate, for I new the majority of people hated door to door salesmen ( I think I learned that from my mom.) Personally I dis-like door knockers, and I could not bring myself to be a door knocker when I know how many people do not like being bothered.

Ryan, how many people showed positive interest compared to the people who you could tell just did not care?

People appreciated a direct, "hey I'm Ryan Im down the street, heres my contact, approach." Some people who were busy seemed uninterested.

I don't know about this, it strikes me as the wrong way to do it...maybe good that it 'seems' to work for you.

I find it intrusive. My home is my private space and I'll get service when I need it...I'll find it too. I instantly throw away any material that arrives to my door in this way.

Perhaps a better way would be to ask when the home owners association meeting is, if there's one, and introduce yourself there. Just an idea.

Nice tips, but I don't think I'd be doing door to door sales. Too many religious people already come door to door in my area. Most people will think I'm one of them walking around. That's the last thing I want, people to think I'm religious, because I'm not.

Last edited:
for 2 years i was a mormon missionary, and ill tell you that door to door was the worst method of contact people ever, it is only what we did when we had nothing else to do, it interupted people at all times of the day, you have no idea whats going on in that house, sometimes a mom has just put her kid to sleep after having a really bad day and you wake him up etc.
please no religious flames.

be carefull if you continue to go door to door, it can be dangerous.

Yea I have considered it, but I am like you I just find it kinda unwarranted. I know for a fact I do not like any sales people knockin on my door from the politicians to the girl scouts ! forgetum all Therefore, I really do not want to do what I do not like to others.

Stick at it Ryan and I think you've provided some excellent advice.

It's also very admirable that you have got up off your backside and gone out to generate some business.

So what cold calling isn't everyones cup of tea, but I can see how you will win some business that others who sit around waiting for it to happen won't.

I think it would kill your business if you had to do it over here. People hate it so much... they (including me sometimes) even hate fliers and advertising magazines in their letter box.

I think that there is a difference between somebody coming to your door to sell you something on the spot and somebody just leaving contact info. I don't mind it if they aren't after my money and if they don't waste my time :)

I am really considering rolling up some of my fliers and sticking them or putting them inbetween the mail flag and box. But yea, I would like to do this on my bike in the dark of night lol Stealth mode!

I don't know why I wrote in that format. Updated with proper punctuation and grammar.

I missed the first version, but thanks for revising, that post is ace now.

Also my website db was down and now its back up.
Your home page is saying "there's nothing here" at the moment (01:30am GMT+1)

People appreciated a direct, "hey I'm Ryan Im down the street, heres my contact, approach." Some people who were busy seemed uninterested.

I prefer to just stick my business card & little fridge magnet through the letterbox. But yes, when I'm doing this after 16:30, I do fall back on your techniques. It's nice to say hello to people and make them smile with your smile :-)

We get quite a few leaflets/brochures through our letterboxes in the UK, so I think it is better to leave business cards (we actually refer to them as 'visitation'/calling cards in my native language), this makes your stuff stand out from the junk ;)

Also, I think 'soliciting' or being a 'solicitor' (it's called 'canvassing' here in the UK; to distinguish it from being a lawyer, or soliciting for carnal favours...)
is quite intrusive, especially for flogging computer repair services to domestic properties.

It does make sense to do this with companies though; just go round an estate when you've done a job in the area, but with most office buildings you get stopped at the front door coms box by the PA (aka 'gate keeper').

Last edited:
I've been going door-to-door in my area over the last few weeks, and its been working very well for me as well. I do about 200 flyers a week.

I don't actually knock on doors, I leave them in the screen door handle or inside between the front door and screen door. I do run across people in the street leaving their homes and are very friendly and seem very happy to recieve coupons for computer repair. The only thing I can say about this to anyone (In the US) wanting to do this. DO NOT leave them in, on or around the mailbox.

The only thing I can say about this to anyone (In the US) wanting to do this. DO NOT leave them in, on or around the mailbox.

I have been concerned about that.. People leave stuff attached to my mailbox flag all the time. They never go in the box, but the flag gets stuff wedged in between it and the box.

I was planning on this coming up.

Back