AVG hosed the OS - BSODs, bootrec/fixboot "Access is Denied"

As I do not use Store Apps, I can't speak to those. It definitely backs up installed apps (or all the ones I had) including M365.

When I did the last N&P on a desktop I have, and restored from its backup, literally everything came back, down to the Personalization choices I had made.

The proviso is that this is directly linked not only to having sufficient cloud storage to make it happen, but it has to be OneDrive cloud storage. For the vast majority of M365 users in the residential world, that's not a problem. Very few of my clients (and even myself) come close to using 1 TB of storage space, period, but very very rarely indeed for "active content." Inactive content is another thing altogether and is best stored on archival media such as backup drives (with more than one copy of it, too).

I just realized that I have this feature turned on, but it does not add any additional size to my OneDrive.

This post says that it remembers your Microsoft Store apps.

This post from Microsoft says the same.

Given this, it leads me to believe that the restoration process on a fresh install will simply initiate downloads for all your Microsoft Store apps and install them.

If it does restore all apps, then why doesn't it take up extra space and why don't I see any info online talking about how it can backup all your apps outside of the Microsoft Store?

If it does restore all apps, then why doesn't it take up extra space and why don't I see any info online talking about how it can backup all your apps outside of the Microsoft Store?

No snark or ill-intent, but how should I know?

All I can do is report the behavior I observed when I did a nuke and pave on my desktop.

It doesn't surprise me that Microsoft Store Apps are not backed up, per se, but the user data and settings are. Getting a fresh copy of the app and "plugging in" the prior user data is pretty straightforward.

I would love to hear what other people have to report here when they do an N&P on a machine where "the full backup boat" was enabled for the new Windows backup paradigm (and, of course, they choose to restore from that backup during re-paving).

Also, here's what I asked Copilot and the "cheery" reply:

You

Sent by you:​

Does Windows 11 Windows backup actually back up installed applications

Copilot

Sent by Copilot:​

Certainly! Let’s dive into the world of Windows 11 backups and unravel the mystery of whether those precious installed applications are included. 🕵️‍♂️
Windows 11 Backup and Installed Applications: A Tale of Cloudy Backups
Windows 11 indeed comes with a new backup application, aptly named the “Windows Backup” app. This shiny addition aims to help users protect their data while also making it easier to restore applications when switching devices. So, let’s break it down:
  1. What Does the Windows Backup App Do?
    • The Windows Backup app allows you to configure backups for your files, settings, credentials, and yes, applications.
    • It’s accessible via the Start menu, so you won’t need a treasure map to find it.
    • The real magic happens when you back up to your OneDrive account in the cloud. 🌩️
  2. Backing Up Your Profile Folders:
    • Open the Start menu and search for “Windows Backup.”
    • Click on the top result to open the app.
    • Head to the “Folders” setting.
    • Turn on the switch for backing up your profile folders (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, etc.). If it already says “Backed up,” you’re golden—those folders are already in the cloud! 🌤️
  3. Quick Access Apps on Any Windows Device:
    • Click on the “Apps” setting.
    • Toggle on “Quick access apps on any Windows device.”
    • This ensures that your favorite apps will be waiting for you, like a loyal dog, no matter which Windows device you’re using. 🐾
  4. Fine-Tuning Settings (Because We’re All Unique):
    • Click on “Settings.”
    • Here, you can choose which settings to include in the backup. Accessibility, language preferences, dictionary—customize away! 🎨
  5. Wi-Fi Networks & Passwords:
    • Click on the “Credentials” setting.
    • Toggle on “Wi-Fi networks & passwords.” Because who wants to re-enter Wi-Fi passwords? Not us! 🔑
  6. Hit That Back-Up Button:
    • Finally, click the “Back up” button.
    • And then, like a true professional, click the “Close” button. 🚀
Voilà! Your profile folders are now chilling in your OneDrive account, and your applications are accounted for. The Windows Backup app even keeps track of where they live on your Start menu and Taskbar. 📂📌
Remember, this isn’t just any backup—it’s a cloud backup. So even if your laptop decides to take a vacation to Tahiti (or just crashes), your data will be sipping virtual piña coladas in the cloud. 🏝️
And there you have it! Windows 11’s backup app is like a digital safety net, catching all your important stuff. 🤗
If you need more tech tips or want to discuss the merits of different cloud storage options, feel free to ask! 🌟12
Learn more about Windows Backup: Windows Central
Now, tell me: Have you ever accidentally deleted an important file and then frantically searched your Recycle Bin like a detective on a mission? 🕵️‍♀️

I learned a good way to prompt AI is to include the phrase “no yapping”. That would have useful with CoPilot 😜

Back