Best Computer Repair Tool Kit?

DanielG2112

Reaction score
I tried the search function but couldn't find an answer. What is a good PC toolkit that contains a variety of tools specifically designed for fixing computer and electronic hardware?

Thanks,

Daniel G

I'll bite. On the left of home page "computer repair tools" has 15 categories to look through. To the bottom right under "best of Technibble" the "computer repair tools section" has many pages of helpful stuff.

It doesn't look half bad, it's all made by a good company and it provides the main tools you should need. If I had nothing then I would probably buy that

I will probably purchase this, I currently am just starting out and don't have much. I like how it's all in one place and in a portable kit. I don't have a huge need for it now. I'm waiting on word of mouth to spread from the ones I have repaired, and posting FB links to my website.

I have a Belkin toolkit. Dunno the model but the only things that really come in useful are a screwdriver, some long-nosed pliers and the box for screws.

I wouldn't spend much on a toolkit if I were you.

I wouldn't buy a toolkit, either. I've had several of them over the years (all of them free, through various means) and have never been satisfied with the quality of the tools in the kit. One of them was a $200 kit with all kinds of goodies, but the tools were junk.

Go to a hardware store and hand pick your tools and a small tool box. I'd recommend a nice precision screwdriver set, an all in one torx driver that has t4-t12 tips, a nice philips #2 driver. Tweezers can be nice sometimes, small needle nose pliers are nice...there are probably other things you'd want but I think those are the essentials

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'll take it all into consideration. What about the Static wrist band? That a must like I hear? Or just a sham?

From your link, I've got one that looks the same as this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Belkin-F8E060-1...itemZ280500476730QQcategoryZ162QQcmdZViewItem
%21B-M62LQBGk%7E$%28KGrHqR,%21mEEy+jC%2991gBM8BnHi5ug%7E%7E0_1.JPG

Had it for ~6-7 years, paid $12 (?) for it. No problems.

If I were to think about what I would usually use on desktop jobs;

1. small wire snips - for cutting cable ties
2. short, medium, long phillips head screwdrivers
3. small pliers
4. Duster brush (pure Bristle)
5. thermal paste
6. pocket LED Torch
7. assortment of cable ties

I dont like pre-packed toolkits because (a) there's usually junk in there I dont need ans (b) I cant select the quality or feel of each individual tool. If you can get something that has a decent selection and reasonable quality for the price you're paying, then go for it. You will probably end up adding and removing tools pretty fast anyway.

Just my 5c worth.

Last edited:
Anti-static wristband: I use it every time I open up a pc (except when I'm in my own pc's ;) I consider it a must have. They're not expensive so get one would be my advise.
A toolkit like the ones shown will do fine. You can always fine tune your kit later.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I just bought a Rosewill 90 piece set from newegg. It has all the bases covered and there are some tools I will probably never use as well. I got it last week for 39.99 usd. The tools arent the highest quality but just replace as needed with the hand picked choices. Over all im happy with the purchase if for no other reason then the case to put the tools in. Its a great starter kit.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261004&cm_re=computer_tool_kit-_-99-261-004-_-Product

I did add a flashlight and paper clip :)

Last edited:
I basically just made my own. I have found that you really don't need to go inside of machines too much, and when you do, you don't need many tools.

Here's a list of what I take on-site with me as far as hand tools go:
Set of normal screwdrivers
Set of precision screwdrivers (the small ones)
Long needle nose pliers
Tweezers (for when you drop screws)
Bent paper clip (open stuck DVD drives)
Small LED flashlight
Leatherman multi-tool (opening boxes, cutting cable ties, misc stuff)

That's basically all the hand tools that I take with me. I rarely use any of them. I use the flashlight and multi tool quite a bit though.

One thing you really want to get right is you main phillips screwdriver. You want something quite long with a thin handle so you can twizzle it to remove screws double quick. When removing like 40 screws from a laptop things like start to matter.

The set of precision screwdrivers I use is the Fat Max range by Stanley (Google:Stanley Fat Max).

I also bought a cheap set by ProUser which has turned out to have a very useful selection of bits, especially for Mac repairs. (Google: ProUser 31).

I would have posted links but I haven't reached the threshold yet.

Andy

Back