Computer Upgrade Still in Progress

@frase That makes sense, the only application I've stuffed an M.2 that will see that sort of abuse is into a server, and in those cases the M.2s were in a drive bay designed for the purpose... IE fans moving buckets of air.

But yeah, I can see if a case has insufficient ventilation you might need something. The darned things tolerate up to 70C without fuss, which is pretty hot! I don't like anything getting above 70C EVER... but the new GPUs and CPUs are making me stretch that a bit. Especially AMD's APUS!

@Larry Sabo Of course it does! There's no fans in there! IF you you want a chip that can hit 70C under load to not melt when there's no airflow, you're going to need a heat sink! That application makes perfect sense.

Especially AMD's APUS!

Yup. The machine I'm on has an A12-9700P and it's maximum operating temperature that's within normal limits is 90° C. At idle it sits in the high 40s to a little over 50 and when running "typical stuff" 65 is very common. A bit of stress and it easily hits 70.

Now I am wiping drives. After nwipe, I am going to use hdparm to send the ATA [enhanced] secure erase as a final erasure.

For some crazy reason ShredOS would not boot from the memory stick on the new build. I probably need to change the Rufus settings to be non-CSM GPT / UEFI only would be my guess, but I just decided to make an Ubuntu Live USB drive because it handles the drivers well, is stable, and I can download/install what I want (like nwipe) and research how to do whatever I need in the included web browser.

1640626476999.png

P.S. while browsing Youtube, I found this, and it gave me a good laugh. I am surprised it worked at all.

hehe washing is fine - as long as it's completely dry in operation. If it doesnt boot something else wrong with board - might be a leaking cap etc.

Cringe about how he has the socket unhinged and unprotected though!!

hehe washing is fine - as long as it's completely dry in operation.

Yup. I've saved a number of devices over time from absolutely certain death after spills of things like orange juice, cola, etc., into them by instant washing (well, rinsing, more accurately).

I've also revived a number of PDAs (when they were a thing) after drops into bodies of water by doing nothing more than making absolutely sure they were dried out completely before trying to fire them up again.

I've got a distiller in the garage
We know what you use it for. Moonshine :cool:
still-classic5_l3.jpg

We know what you use it for. Moonshine :cool:
still-classic5_l3.jpg
One of these actually: https://www.durastillwatersystems.com/durastill-12-gallon-per-day-manual-fill-water-distiller/

Funny part is... every time the plumber comes out to service it he has to ask if I put alcohol through it... because people do, with very explosive results! XD

But seriously, very handy to have freshly distilled water on hand for all sorts of purposes. It makes vehicle maintenance a ton easier, especially lead acid battery maintenance.

But seriously, very handy to have freshly distilled water on hand for all sorts of purposes. It makes vehicle maintenance a ton easier, especially lead acid battery maintenance.
I just grab a gallon at the store and keep it handy. I would never need that much distilled water on hand or even need that much to justify the cost of that machine.

I just grab a gallon at the store and keep it handy. I would never need that much distilled water on hand or even need that much to justify the cost of that machine.
True! But... Well I live in Phoenix... and... https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...est-van-buren-but-cleanup-stalled/3486506002/

The ground water here is IRRADIATED in some places, thanks to all the mining we did to build the bombs we dropped on Japan... and well... many more after. There have been several times where we've gotten notices not to drink the tap water for various reasons, all mostly more mundane concerns.

But the largest problem? The water here is STUPID HARD extremely high levels of calcium. Constant exposure tends to turn into kidney stones later in life, a joy that's already afflicted my dad. So I have a distiller, in an attempt to remove that fate from my future.

Besides, this house goes through a 5 gallon jug a day, the time I was spending keeping bottles filled before this thing was huge. So for me, quite worth it. The other benefits are secondary.

Why? What do you imagine nwipe can reach that ATA Secure Erase can't? All you're doing is putting extra traffic through the flash.
The concept of "securely" erasing flash RAM is in and of itself nothing but wear on the media. There are some benifits to doing this however, to clean up firmware related mismanagement at times.

ATA Secure Erase supports SSDs, and appears to be able to do the job correctly. NWipe and DBAN both from what I can see DO NOT, and use of them on an SSD does little but damage the NVRAM.

You cannot securely wipe SSDs the same way you do HDDs, update your tools!

The concept of "securely" erasing flash RAM is in and of itself nothing but wear on the media. There are some benifits to doing this however, to clean up firmware related mismanagement at times.

ATA Secure Erase supports SSDs, and appears to be able to do the job correctly. NWipe and DBAN both from what I can see DO NOT, and use of them on an SSD does little but damage the NVRAM.

You cannot securely wipe SSDs the same way you do HDDs, update your tools!

I was secure erasing a spinner. A 2 TB Western Digital blue 3.5" 7200 RPM.

For SATA SSDs I just use hdparm

@Sky-Knight I'm not sure why you quoted my post – I meant "Why on earth would you use nwipe and then ATA-SE", not "Why should you ...". I also misunderstood, thinking the two operations were being performed on the same SSD.

Back