CPU bent pins FIXED, computer wont boot up

Andyuk2007

Reaction score
Hi all, I got a computer this afternoon from a customer it seems his kids have somehow removed the cpu and some of the pins became bent, anyway I've straightned the bent pins so they are straight again and cleared the cmos but its not posting.

The system is an Acer aspire M3201 the guy who bought it actually said it might need a new cpu but since ive sorted the pins out could this still be the case ?

I dont want to get a new cpu and accidently overcharge this guy, the mother board seems to be working fine as it powers up but it cannot find the cpu so maybe a new cpu is the way to go hmm

not sure at the moment :p

From the sounds of it it definitely needs a new CPU. Do you know why he had removed it in the first place? There could be an original problem he was trying to fix. Assuming the kids are old enough to be attempting to fix the computer. But if it doesn't post and the cpu pins have been bent the I would say that it needs a new one.

From the sounds of it it definitely needs a new CPU.

Or....something else is wrong. Maybe the guy thought it was the CPU, but instead there's something else wrong with the laptop? Without trying to eliminate everything else, there's no way I'd replace the CPU first.

From the sounds of it it definitely needs a new CPU. Do you know why he had removed it in the first place? There could be an original problem he was trying to fix. Assuming the kids are old enough to be attempting to fix the computer. But if it doesn't post and the cpu pins have been bent the I would say that it needs a new one.

well he said his kids were messing around and removed the side casing and decided to take apart the computer, they removed the cpu and tried to put it back but they forced it in the wrong way and bent some pins............to cut a long story short the children's bottoms were very sore :p

I have straightned the pins but yes it might be worth trying a new cpu then because it could have been damaged other ways when the kids removed it.

I've been trying to find the exact same cpu it had before but i cannot seem to find A AMD Phenom X4 quad core processor's on ebay or ebuyer.com

the closest i can find are these ones http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Processors-AMD/subcat/AMD-AM2-Phenom

well he said his kids were messing around and removed the side casing and decided to take apart the computer, they removed the cpu and tried to put it back but they forced it in the wrong way and bent some pins............to cut a long story short the children's bottoms were very sore :p

I have straightned the pins but yes it might be worth trying a new cpu then because it could have been damaged other ways when the kids removed it.

I've been trying to find the exact same cpu it had before but i cannot seem to find A AMD Phenom X4 quad core processor's on ebay or ebuyer.com

the closest i can find are these ones http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Processors-AMD/subcat/AMD-AM2-Phenom

I would note the motherbords number, find the manual and sum up from that what proccers it takes and go from there, i would be most worried why they took out the CPU, seems strange.

Unlike memory you don't just 'pull out' a processor. You have to undo clips, screws and stuff. You also have to unlock the socket once you have removed the heatsink.

If the kids did all that whilst the pc was still connected to the mains there may well be further damage.

Additionally there may be damage to the processor socket, if pins were bent in the removal process. Are you sure all the pins are present and intact, and one is not torn off and still in the socket?

Unlike memory you don't just 'pull out' a processor. You have to undo clips, screws and stuff. You also have to unlock the socket once you have removed the heatsink.

If the kids did all that whilst the pc was still connected to the mains there may well be further damage.

Additionally there may be damage to the processor socket, if pins were bent in the removal process. Are you sure all the pins are present and intact, and one is not torn off and still in the socket?

nope the socket seems free of pins but i'm going to telephone the customer tommorow to ask if he wants me to go ahead and order a new one and to let him know the bill.

If you have a board with a compatible socket/slot then you could test the CPU from a known good board. If that is not an option I would look at replacing the CPU though as others have said there could be more damage then the CPU depending on how and what was done.

The new processor was a complete success, I fixed some issues with a slow shut down and a few malware problems and also defragged the hard drive. its running as smooth as it can for windows vista :)

Back