Dell Inspiron 7706 2n1 how to boot from usb?

lan101

Reaction score
So this laptop has no legacy boot options which I guess I've just been lucky up to this point in using that option. Long story short someone dealt with a scammer on the phone and they added a user password...so I want to clear it with iseepassword program. No usb option shows up for boot and when I go to the add boot option I've tried about every file there that I can think of. The bootmgr.exe etc....this is my first rodeo really having to add a UEFI path option. So clearly it's seeing the usb just not able to boot from it. Every one I try just says unbootable device. I've tried it both with secure boot on and off.

Here's a little video showing it. Probably something simple I'm missing but it's late so maybe that's why lol.

Personally I would not trust that program you are using, I have never heard of it either?

I would use and recommend PCUnlocker for this purpose and can be made bootable via Rufus.
I have this essential tool on my Ventoy SSD.

If a scammer has accessed the system it is N&P time. No matter if you change the password there could be malicous files to route back to the scammer who was on the system or .reg changes one may not be aware of.

Last edited:
I've used it for 4 or 5 years with no issues...don't remember really where I stumbled upon it.

It doesn't matter. That drive is going to be Bitlocker encrypted by default so no password clearing utilities will be able to access the drive to clear the password. Nuke n' pave time. I hope they've got a backup of their data. If not, it's time to sell them a cloud backup subscription.

Well ended up getting lucky. I just bought the PCUnlocker and it showed right up after I made the image with Rufus.

I see they also have a version of PCUnlocker if you're dealing with bitlocker. I just used the default version and I was able to unlock password.

Maybe it wasn't fully encrypted because it said sign into your Microsoft account to finish encryption so may have dodged one here lol.

Personally I would not trust that program you are using, I have never heard of it either?

I would use and recommend PCUnlocker for this purpose and can be made bootable via Rufus.
I have this essential tool on my Ventoy SSD.

If a scammer has accessed the system it is N&P time. No matter if you change the password there could be malicous files to route back to the scammer who was on the system or .reg changes one may not be aware of.

Yeah I wanted to get on there to save a few items...etc. Some docs and pics that were probably not backed up anywhere. But yeah then I plan on N&P after that. Thanks for the PCUnlocker recommendation. I've seen that recommended for quite a few years on here. That'll probably work better with other systems going forward I'm sure.

I see they also have a version of PCUnlocker if you're dealing with bitlocker.
I don't see how that's possible, unless they're just saying that they support you entering your Bitlocker recovery key in order to access the drive. Not very useful seeing as you need to log into your Microsoft account to get the Bitlocker key in the first place.

I don't see how that's possible, unless they're just saying that they support you entering your Bitlocker recovery key in order to access the drive. Not very useful seeing as you need to log into your Microsoft account to get the Bitlocker key in the first place.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.
If they had a way to bypass Bitlocker they would sell their solution to law enforcement. The CIA and such probably already has a way to bypass it but local law enforcement and the FBI would love to be able to do it themselves. They wouldn't be integrating the feature into their janky password bypass program when they could be making 1,000x more by selling it to law enforcement. Or heck, even to technicians like us. I would gladly pay $1,000+ for a program that can bypass Bitlocker for the many, many times I need to back up a client's data and I can't because the drive is encrypted. Even if I can log into their Microsoft account to recover their Bitlocker key, it would be great if I didn't have to do that.

Back