[REQUEST] Emails missing from Outlook 16 sent folder

InHomeComputerHelp.com

Reaction score
Have an issue with a client where one day a bunch of his old emails went missing from his sent folder and he uses them to resend information.

I've tried everything I could think of including going back in history in case the June 10th update had anything to do with it.

Searched the sources accept his email from GoDaddy and I should be getting that information Tuesday.

Checked archives and delete folders check recovery

Ran the folder reset command just in case

Has anyone had this experience?

Rick

Presuming we're talking Outlook here, as that's not perfectly clear, two things:

1. If he's sent email to anyone those addresses should be in his autocomplete list.

2. Use this as a chance to educate this user that you don't do exactly what he's doing. For people you correspond with routinely you should be creating actual contacts, and I don't know of a single email client or webmail client that doesn't make this a simple process.

Thank you for that thought, but he's actually using the emails themselves with files attached already. He edits them with information specific to the new sender and sends them off. Nice little time saver. Yes Outlook 16 sorry.

Rick

What sort of account is it? PST, Imap, Office365.

PST, is there an archived file somewhere
Imap, what doe the online version look like
Office365, can you track them in the admin console, is there a backup?

and as @britechguy says, time for some education to the end user, even if they save a copy of the email to their documents and then some sort of backup as well, even just Onedrive sync. This user maybe one that uses their recycle bin or deleted items as a storage place.

But the good news is pretty much everyone these days are actually IMAP on the server side. So log into webmail to see i f you can find them.

Amen!!

This client still needs to be clued in about features they don't know about that could make their life so much easier. I also have the sneaking suspicion, as does @autumn, that there may be a number of other very bad habits that they need to break.

Unless a backup was made of the PST it's gone from the PST. But the good news is pretty much everyone these days are actually IMAP on the server side. So log into webmail to see i f you can find them.
Yeah that's next my client has to get the information from one of his staff members. All I know so far is GoDaddy is hosting the website and handling the mail.

Rick

Godaddy handling the mail means M365 is handling the mail AND you don't have the admin access to use M365 correctly so you can't actually use M365 to get the mail back.

Going with Godaddy sold M365 services is one of the single largest and most expensive mistakes any SMB owner can make. It's... a huge mess to fix OR you take the risk with defederation.

Godaddy handling the mail means M365 is handling the mail AND you don't have the admin access to use M365 correctly so you can't actually use M365 to get the mail back.

Going with Godaddy sold M365 services is one of the single largest and most expensive mistakes any SMB owner can make. It's... a huge mess to fix OR you take the risk with defederation.
So I can't just go in the GoDaddy and look for emails as I do with any other posting server?

If GoDaddy is handling the email, there is no PST unless you have an additional one.

Old emails might only be on the server, not in Outlook. Check the File/Email accounts/double click the email and check the download time. If 1 year, then his search might be jacked up and it's not finding the old sent emails. Slide it over to "all" and let download, then all the email will be down in Outlook.

So I can't just go in the GoDaddy and look for emails as I do with any other posting server?
It's Exchange, and you won't see any difference in what Outlook presents vs what's online.

To get at the deleted mail you need to access the purged items for the user, which is supposed to be available via OWA. But Godaddy prevents access to the proper UI, so as far as I know you can't get at that folder!

Simple answer: No.

That is but one of the reasons I went through the pain of defederating the M365 Tenants of one of my clients from GoDaddy as part of a project to get rid of an on-prem server. There was no way I could get at most of the basic administrative functions while that tenant was held by GoDaddy. I do have to say that apparently enough people have been defederating from GoDaddy that they have made it much easier to do than it once was. I know that I got direct help here when that little project was underway, so a site search on [GoDaddy defederate] is likely to turn up those discussions.

M365 via Godaddy is crippleware. I learned this the hard way. In fact that's how most users learn that since Godaddy does nothing to make these shortcomings known. I think first time I learned I was trying to set the password to the maximum value back then. 3 or 5 years. Can't do that via GUI. I tried every guide I could find but got no where. Finally a phone call to support, then onto Godaddy M365 support where I found that large segments of M365, including a lot of PS stuff, is walled off. Once validated they happily changed the setting for me.

Personally I think they are trying to push customers into a support model where provides all of the web, email and office app support.

@Markverhyden It's simpler than that, they're just trying to compress M365 functionality into a ball they can support with low IQ support staff.

It mostly works, the problem is 100% of all organizations out grow it... QUICKLY. Then you've got to get them out of it. I don't mind the fact that they do it, what bugs the crap out of me is how hard it is to get organizations FREE of it. Every other CSP provider just hands over a login and you're done, why does GoDaddy get to go around permanently damaging M365 tenants?

Back