[REQUEST] HP 24-K0024 (AIO) Will Not Launch to BIOS with Replacement Motherboard

Billed1954

Reaction score
Recently, I replaced the Motherboard on a HP 24-K0024 All-In-One Desktop that experienced a power surge. Previously, the computer deteriorated to only powering on and the "PLUS" icon would only appear for where you can tweak "Color," "Power," "Management," "Information," or "Exit". There is no change with the replacement motherboard. Among the options was to do a "original manufacturers reset."With the brand new motherboard, I still have the same issues. I replaced the CMOS battery, tested with another compatible power supply, lubricated/rotated the RAM (PC4-2666V," installed a replacement Western Digital 1TB SSD drive (to reprogram), cleared CMOS (by removing battery and unplugging to drain the power 30 seconds). When I removed the battery and drained the power, I would occasionally get a checksum error and something about the computer resetting (could not act fast enough for the options and then we'd be back to square one. When I got the checksum pop-ups, the keyboard would have a flashing light but I could not control. As I keep trying the CMOS resets, I am causing more wear & tear on my ribbons & connections and the wide monitor ribbon cable connection is starting to crumble on the left side although the ribbon contacts are still good (already replaced that previously). There was a previous inquiry from someone else about 2 years ago but no answers. I am really hoping to restore this computer but getting discouraged. Any help would be most appreciated! Pleased to be part of this great forum. Thank you!

Attachments

• setting0.jpeg
    setting0.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 6
  • setting1.jpeg
    setting1.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 6
These days 30 seconds is often not long enough. Leave the CMOS battery out overnight with no AC. Before putting it back in push and hold down the power button if there is one for around 15-20 seconds. Where did the board come from? Are you sure you got the correct board?

Thank you Mark! The board was purchased from an eBay seller that claimed the board was new (open box). As I write this, just pulled out the CMOS battery and computer was unplugged. If I'm lucky, I'll at least get the checksum error in the morning and hopefully it stays up long enough for me to capture the whole error and actions required. What's interesting is that this replacement motherboard is exhibiting the exact same behavior as the one that took the zap. There is no separate powerboard and I don't have any additional RAM with this version or newer.

Thank you Mark! The board was purchased from an eBay seller that claimed the board was new (open box). As I write this, just pulled out the CMOS battery and computer was unplugged. If I'm lucky, I'll at least get the checksum error in the morning and hopefully it stays up long enough for me to capture the whole error and actions required. What's interesting is that this replacement motherboard is exhibiting the exact same behavior as the one that took the zap. There is no separate powerboard and I don't have any additional RAM with this version or newer.
Best of luck. OEM's do not retail their FRU's so it's almost guaranteed that the board is a cull. As with any culled parts it's a crap shoot. Especially for parts that are difficult to test. I used to do OEM repairs for all the big names years ago so am quite familiar with their procedures. HP used to offer, over 15 years ago, onsite repairs for qualified products. But I also know they stopped offering that for AIO's due to the complexity of the devices and the lack of skilled technicians.

Is there a jumper pins on the mobo, where you can short the BIOS with a screwdriver or a jumper for about 5 seconds. Doing so with the power off and all cables disconnected. Reseat cables and turn system on.

1 & 3 Pins are reset I think you will need to refer to the schematics these are the pins.

Shift the Middle Jumper to the Third Jumper

61Uzocvp2mL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

Last edited:
Back